Devery Looking Good

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I watched the Saints Black and Gold game scrimmage tonight. Despite only signing his contract late Thursday night and having only participated in one practice Devery Henderson caught one pass for about a 35 or 40 yard gain and another over the middle. He will make Haslett eat his words.

2. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Hendersons got the skills. IM sure by the end of the season he will be one to watch.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

What exactly did Haslett say about Devery?

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't remember the exact words but when Devery was holding out Haslett commented that Devery was hurting himself by not being there and hinted that he would be lucky to get much playing time this season because of it.

5. islstl

I just don't think its right for a head coach to get involved with that kinda stuff. That's between team management and the player. Not the head coach. No coach should say stuff like that about an unsigned player.

6. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I'd have to disagree. He's part of the team, he should be in camp with everyone else. If he's not, especially over money issues, he opens himself up for criticism from everyone.

In light of that, I do believe Devery will work his way onto the team, and eventually into the No. 3 receiver position, especially considering how many drops the Saints receiving corp had last year. I believe that position is wide open.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I also have to disagree about the head coach getting involved since his job is in jepardy if the team does not get the job done on the field. It does indeed hurt a rookie to hold out for an extended period and the $aints need all the help they can get. :yelwink2: :yelwink2: :yelwink2: :yelwink2:

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Why not blame management instead of DH, it goes both ways, so therefore Haslett should just not talk in the press about a holdout IMO. You cannot report until you sign the contract.

9. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

If you paid attention, they offered him the contract that a person at his draft slot is supposed to get. He wanted more. He ended up taking the original Saints offer because he and his agent had no leg to stand on.

I'm sure it was all his agent's doing, but it was Devery's side at fault, not the Saints.

10. islstl

I am sure Cajdav1 was talkin in general, not specific to DH's case. It is NOT the head coach's position to get between management and player's negotiations. He is not in on the negotiations and therefore should have no opinion of it. And it's not smart either. Haslett is starting on bad footing with his relationship with DH is he comes out and says something negative like this.