DEVILLE: Fallout from Perrilloux saga

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Indiana Tiger, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I do hope he gets with Semoine and learns about humility, lord knows he needs it. And I also hope that Miles is smart enough to keep the freshman from talking to the media, a cvery smart move by Saban and now we will have a greater need than ever to have it I believe.

3. stamant79

stamant79 Founding Member

This has been my number one concern with RP is his attitude. I do hope that he is kept in check. I for one dont want to see post game PC turned into a media circus by Rp being allowed to run his mouth.
    As the saying goes there is no I in team and this kid has a definate I problem.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

One of two things will happen.

He could come in like Shaquille and be an instant success and everybody's All-American. Then he will make the same boasts and we will all grin and say "he exudes confidence" and slap each other on the back. That's our boy!

Or he could have a humbling experience in his introduction to big-time SEC football. Just like Jamarcus Russell did . . . and almost every other freshman that has ever come aboard. High school All-Americans are coming from situations where they have been a man among boys. It damn sure ain't like that in Divsion I! Then we will all frown and mutter "Overrated loudmouth. Coach better recruit a better quarterback next year!"

All in all, Perrilloux should show his stuff before showing his ass. It would make him look better down the road, no matter how his freshman year turns out. But you know, the rest of us probably all found a way to show our ass when we were 18, too. The kid has a lot to learn and he has already learned soemthing. Don't let a reporter take you into his confidence and get you to say something that you wouldn't say in a press conference.

5. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

damn good article. Miles is going to have his hands full trying to keep a leash on this kid.

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

*SIGH*

Perrilloux sure has left a nasty little stain on his reputation. He needs to get in check as soon as possible. :dis:

Its also a little embarrassing that the University was trying to spin this thing. :dis:

7. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

The maturity he may show on the football field does not necessarily translate to maturity in other areas. I can only imagine what it has been like for him, to have the level of success he has had on the football field. He's still a young kid, and hopefully he'll learn how to handle himself over time. Agreed that the ban on freshman talking to the media needs to stay in place.

Isn't it true that many major college athletic programs offer mandatory instruction on how to properly handle oneself in media interviews? If so, does LSU?

8. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Great article and analysis, all true. Yes, Miles needs to make sure RP has a solid mentor, or several of them, when he hits TigerTown. The transition from high school media superstar to dogface incoming freshman could turn out to be bumpy, disastrous, or glorious, we'll just have to wait and find out. That's true of many incoming high school "superstars" across the country. The thing about RP is that he may indeed have the goods to start as a frosh -- due to his running ability. If he has trouble reading defenses, as would be expected his 1st yr, he can always tuck it and run. That option is not really available to Russell, who doesn't have RP's mobility. The best player needs to play. It will help the situation if the LSU fanbase has this attitude and doesn't polarize into "JR" and "RP" camps --- but unfortunately Miles & Co. can't keep a leash on the fans.

9. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

Someone said it best in another thread...

Some body needs to lay that dude out at the first practice and introduce him to the SEC...

I'm glad we got him, and I think he'll do a fine job, but if he thinks playing quarterback in Division I, much less the SEC, is easy... He's going to be in for a shock.

10. stamant79

stamant79 Founding Member

[. The best player needs to play. It will help the situation if the LSU fanbase has this attitude and doesn't polarize into "JR" and "RP" camps --- but unfortunately Miles & Co. can't keep a leash on the fans.[/QUOTE]

Now we all know after this last season that the coaching staff doesnt give a damn what we think unless you happen to be mrs randall :grin: