did an LSU coach die in a plane crash in the 80's?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DocBrooks, Apr 20, 2006.

1. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I seem to remember that Rein had hired his staff, and Stovall was asked to keep it intact, accept anyone who wanted to stay on. He did that. The offensive coordinator for 2 seasons was MACK BROWN, who did an outstanding job in my opinion. Brown left after the second season as I remember, and the team faltered for 2 years till Stovall was replaced after his 4th season.

Mack Brown has been a winner everywhere he has gone. I gained a heathy respect for him in 80-81. I thought LSU should have considered Mack several times in the past, but I think Texas will be his last job.

2. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

didn't he run the veer offense? wonder if he could have transitioned out of that or would have been stubborn like urban legend.

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Was Mack the OC? I thought he was QB coach.

4. Perple

Perple Founding Member

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

6. kedo15

kedo15 Founding Member

Bo Rein ran the veer. He would not have lasted any longer than Stovall ,who also liked the veer.In fact,Stovall came in as our offensive coordinator in 1974 to install ....yep ...the veer.After fumbling ,and stumbling to a 5-5-1 record,Cholly Mac abandoned that bs. Mack Brown was brought in in 1982 as qb coach and we had our best season under Stovall.Brown left after 1982 to become head coach at Appalachain St.All in all, those option oriented offenses are high school and I dont believe any college head coach would have been successful using one long term.The option's days in major college football are done and were by the eighties .Even the Bear wa starting to get drilled using the bone when he retired in 1982.:lsup:

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A typical wild-ass guess. Rein had a much better reputation as a head coach than Stovall who wasn't even in coaching at the time he was hired and had zero experience as a head coach. Rein was entirely "up" on modern offenses and defenses and we don't know what offense he would have installed at LSU. Probably the same one Mack Brown installed and made Stovall into the National Coach of the Year.

8. kedo15

kedo15 Founding Member

A wild -ass guess? Lets see...Rein trained under Holtz(an option guy if there ever was one)and took over for him when Holtz went to the Jets.Rein ran the veer and brought his entire staff with him here.Stovall took over but the staff remained.A wild ass guess?...hardly ...an educated guess?...perhaps..more than likely a very strong probability.Also, for those fans who love the what if only's.....I will make this one statement.Coaching changes at major universities were the school replaces a legendary long term coach rarely succeed on the first or even second attempt. Dont believe me? Look it up. how many coaches at bama to get from Bear to Stallings .Stallings was #3.And Bama is on #2 since Stallings.Florida is already on #2 since Spurrier.Georgia finally got it right on attempt #3 since Dooley.Auburn went through a bundle from Shug Jordan to Pat Dye and were very close to being rid of coach #2 since Dye but botched the firing and Tubberville saved himself.How many at Ole Miss since Vaught?... Nationally...how about the powerhouse Sooners who went through 4 to get from Switzer to Stoops.Nebraska is already on #2 since Osborne.Texas went through an assortment of coaches since Royal retired.I cant wait for Florida State to lose Bowden because they will probably not get it right either.Anyway,to think that we would have been the one university to get it right with a coaching change is ,in my opinion, wishful thinking.

9. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Better add Switzer & Osborne to that list as well. They didn't know what the hell they were doing either.

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

It's not just football, either. Think of all the collateral that goes with that, Red...no Brodhead would have meant no Skip Bertman, no Pat Henry. It's kind of like the lesson from "It's A Wonderful Life"...one life touches upon so many others.