Did any of you guys notice this ......

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HalloweenRun, Jul 18, 2015.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You could always check your weapon out and go hunting or shooting and carry it in your trunk, then it had to be returned to the arms room by a certain time, it wasn't like you had to have your hand held at all times
    You guys had to clear other peoples weapons? That is odd, seems like punishment
    This always scared the crap out of me when I worked the arms room, one of those silly Gomer Pyle privates shoves that thing through the window business end first and left one in the chamber and I end up taking one right to the chest. To compound things I'm now locked in the damn cage with no way for help to get to me. Screw that.
    Which is the norm, but people are stupid. They approach the barrel and pull the charging handle back BEFORE they drop the mag. Now they have one in the chamber, watched enough people do it, always scares the shit out of them when they pull the trigger and a round goes off. Then they look around and wonder how in the hell that just happened.

Tiger Exile, red55 and HalloweenRun like this.
  2. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

It didn't feel like punishment I guess because it was normal procedure. Two sets of eyes, less chance of a mistake but it did happen which was beyond me. Weapons return was always a little nerve racking but we took the magazines first, checked for missing rounds then transferred the rifle or pistol. M-60s were a different beast.

3. shane0911

always the scariest because they fire from open bolt.

I still don't get why you had a guard posted to clear weapons, just strange to me. I couldn't imagine the exchange that would have taken place if I or any of my buds were going into a mess hall and some MP or SP or anyone for that matter says "Excuse me Sgt, I need to clear your weapon" oh the hilarity that would have ensued.

4. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

This was all in house - our shop, not in a mess hall. We were really the only personnel carrying. When we were in Panama, we worked alongside the Army and didn't mess with them unless they were screwing up. My primary function was Air Base Ground Defense - infantry of the AF. We had SP - LE designation as well and cross-trained with them which is why I would end up in the cage or assisting on the range.

5. shane0911

Gotcha, that's why I was so confused