Did anybody else call the onside kick?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Feb 9, 2010.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

ohhhhh..... so THAT'S where he's reaching. my bad.

:hihi:

2. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

That's what she said.

1 person likes this.
  3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Did he also say it would be Porter?

The only thing about that is, I don't think the kick went 10 yrds. But then again, how are you just going to let the kick go in that game, at that point, without making some kind of attempt to recover it. No one has that kind of presence of mind to not even attempt a recovery.

4. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i was waiting for someone to do that.

i had a vivid dream that sharper would pick off favre and run it back in the NFGcg, when it didn't happen i was convinced sharper would do it to manning.

it went ten yards, that's one of the first things i looked for during one of the dozen times i rewatched it.

the genius on the kick was two fold:
    1) taking a guy who has never attempted an onside kick and known for his leg attempting it. (if they'd brought hartley in then the colts would've gotten suspicious).
    2) morstead kicked across his body to his left rather than going right which is more conventional. the degree of difficulty for morstead (you know, a rookie from SMfreaking U playing in the biggest game of his life) was off the charts. add that to the fact payton told him at the beginning of halftime and he was sh!tting bricks.

edit: on the rewatch the kick starts at the 30 and almost gets to the 45 and is defelected back to the 42 or so.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

He was slurring pretty bad so all he was saying was "pick six". I was just impressed he could repeat the same thing 4 or 5 times in a row without falling off of his stool.

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Didn't see it coming, but was not surprised when we did it. I had called for the 4th and goal attempt and everyone around me thought I was an idiot. I told them that is just the way Sean thinks, he would rather punch it in or fail trying than give into the notion of just going for 3. So when we did the onside kick I wasn't surprised because it was just a typical Sean type play. The thing I was telling the people around me is that it shows how confident Sean is in his team, and their play from those points on proved his point. They played with a determination to win from then on.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah I thought the 4th down call before half was a no brainer and would have been shocked had Coach Payton decided to kick a FG.

And it actually turned out for the best that it failed. Because Indy decided "not to lose" the game and be conservative and the Saints ended up with 3 anyway.

Had the Saints made the 4th down and tied it at 10, then Peyton Manning would have done one of them magical 2 minute drills and the Saints could have easily been down 17-10.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Next time anyone gets a chance, watch the replay of the kick and look for the spin on the ball. He kicked that ball so it would have a bunch of side or back spin on it. I have never seen a football kicked like that in my life, it was a soccer kick with right bend on it. Absolutely amazing kick, especially since that was the first time Morestead ever kicked an onside kick. Wow.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yes, I agree.

Had the ball kept going it would have landed right in Baskett's hands or some other Colt would have gotten to it first. But the spin was crazy and it jutted sideways. Baskett ended up falling down to try and jump on it and was all out of kilter when he tried to snag it.