Did anybody hear Mon Press Conf or Songy? QB?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Sep 6, 2004.

1. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

I think its more of an issue of the team not having confidence in Randall. Which ever it is, the team's lack of confidence or Randall's, he is not who needs to start against Arkansas State. If Randall comes out and looks great against State, chances are he'll choke against Auburn. The guy is not a game winning QB. Russell on the other hand stood in the pocket Last Saturday, planted his feet and delivered the ball with authority. The dropped passes in the second half were dropped b/c they were thown like they were coming out of a cannon. The dump pass in the end zone is not an easy pass to throw, ask anyone who has played the position. Both of those can be fixed with playing time and that playing time needs to come against Arky St. not the second half of Auburn after Randall has choked yet again.

2. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

I think Randall knows he can play, he just trys too hard to win the game on one play. He needs to take one play at a time. Just needs to calm down and relax. Play the game he loves. Go out and have some fun. Also even though he doesn't get all pissy when he doesn't play, he still knows in his head he needs to play his best or he is out. I hope he can get all his tools together, but as of now Russell is the man.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The coach said he was going to play two quarterbacks. I think that is a smart move. Russell ain't entirely ready yet with a 34 percent average. And nobody knows better than Randall that an injury can put you right into the game. Nick needs both of these guys playing.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I could have all the confidence in the world in Marcus Randall but if he throws a pass 6 feet over my head I ain't gonna catch it no matter how much confidence I have in him.

5. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I think it is pretty obvious that he thinks he can play. If he didn't think he could play or didn't have confidence in himself why would he have beat out JR for the starting spot? He must have been doing something right in practice....Saban is clearly not a idiot....he wouldn't just put Randall in simply because he is a senior.

IMHO, his main problem is the pressure of the game, whether it is his lack of ability to let it go when he messes something up or he just freezes up when he sees 92,000 insane people.

6. Jwho77

Jwho77 Founding Member

Some people on this board are in a group of Tigers fans who think that Randall's problem is confidence. Look, his issues are not that psychological.

Randall's 2 main problems are something he cannot overcome to be a consistent or reliable Division I QB:

1.) He is not an accurate passer. We can all see he has a shot-put throwing motion that looks awkward. I think it affects his accuracy on a regular basis. Even simple bread-and-butter passing plays like the quick hitch are not executed consistently thanks to MR's poor mechanics.

2.) He flat-out cannot handle the blitz. MR couldn't do it as a sophomore and, after all this time, cannot do it as a senior. Russell, on the other hand, may be somewhat raw, but he showed the special ability to move in the pocket under duress while still keeping his eyes downfield and making good throws. As I have seen/heard several other people mention already, JaMarcus has "it" while Randall does not.