Did anyone see Les Miles.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Jul 23, 2014.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

On my dam phone so no chance of finding it but I once read a piece about LSU's success and we had a very successful program as indicated by winning percentage.

I think Bengal's distinction of NATIONAL is what separates us pre/post Saban. I am in the party who feels he did, overall, change the mindset. To use a line of his, "Last year's accomplishment becomes next year's expectation."

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Bengal B likes this.
  2. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

I remember it well. Of course you're right that there were fewer choices back then. But ESPN still showed games all day long and into the night. FSU, Miami, and the good SEC teams like Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, Bama were on National TV a ton. The bottom feeders like LSU, Kentucky and Ole Miss were almost never picked. It was very frustrating. Not living in Louisiana at the time, I went entire seasons unable to watch the team play. The feeling for those ten years was not just a deep disappointment that went hand in hand with losing seasons, but in knowing that LSU Football didn't matter to anyone.

Those years are why I appreciate the fact that we're the most exciting team in football in terms of how entertaining the games are. It helps me remember that dominant stretches are rare and can easily slip away (ask Tennessee, Nebraska, Miami).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    shane0911, ParadiseiNC and TigerTap like this.
  3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Again your view of the history is too limited. Yes we sucked in the 90's and paid for it in TV appearances etc. However when DiNardo "Brought back the Magic" for a few years we went back into the national eye. The table was set for Saban by LSUs history. Why do you think he took the job????

TigerTap and didit like this.
  4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I recall mention of Morris Watts (OC under Dinardo at LSU and also Saban at Mich St) telling Saban that LSU was a sleeping giant.

didit and LSUDad like this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

During the Hallman years, they coached/signed 19 players that were drafted into the NFL. They did bring in some talent. Many talk about Gerry getting Kevin Faulk to sign with LSU after the Hallman staff was let go. Faulk was not gonna sign with LSU, a coach off the staff of Hallman had a long talk with him to convince him to sign with LSU. If you see Kevin, call him Hoss, thats what this coach called him, he'll remember. This coach also signed Faneca, LaFleur and a number of great LSU guys. I see this former LSU coach every now and then.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hallman wasn't a bad recruiter. He got Brett Favre to go to USM. We can all thank Favre for Curley getting the LSU job

LSUDad likes this.
  7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Most of the reason Morris went back up to Mich, was because of his getting a retirement package. Good coach. Mike Heywood took a bunch of former LSU asst coaches and won big at Miami of Ohio. Morris was one.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Saban may owe a debt to LSU but if he had never come here and he had gotten the job at Alabama then or Notre Dame or Florida or Nebraska he would have built up those programs the way he did at LSU.

9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

No one denies that...and you make my point. Look at the other teams you mentioned ND, Fla Neb all historic teams. Saban used LSUs tradition and potential well but he had a lot to work with. ...He left Mich State for a reason...he needed LSU to build his place in history

10. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Saban was NOT our Savior. Many other talented coaches could have brought us to where we are today. You think Urban, Carroll, and the other big name coaches could not have exploited the talent pool we have here. And yes even the present coach would have gotten it done. When LSU decided to open the purse and pay for great facilities and coaches we got better. It's just that it happened under Sabans watch.