Did anyone see Les Miles.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Noth1ngfaced

Noth1ngfaced Veteran Member

My head is dizzy from all of that spin.

LSU lost 2 games in 2007 - 99.9% of the time, in the BCS era, 2-loss teams aren't anywhere near the championship game.

LSU's 2003 team legitimately won a BCS Championship, however, the Associated Press, even then, didn't think it was good enough.

The Associated Press doesn't even acknowledge an LSU championship in 2003. LSU's 2006 team was better than all of them in the Les Miles era, IMO.

LSU IS a powerhouse, but Nick Saban bought the car. Les Miles drives it and changes the oil in it.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nonsense. Saban was an up-and-coming coach before he came to LSU. He left LSU at the top spot in the top tier.

3. red55

Only if you started following LSU football in the Curley Hallman era. The heritage is much older than that, Hoss.

4. red55

Lots of teams took two losses or more that year, so what? LSU was the BEST 2-loss team in the country with both losses coming in triple overtime. And then they beat the number one team in the country in the national championship game. That's what you call a legitimate national champion.

Stop masquerading as a STATE supporter, you are an overt Bammer, chief.

OK, . . . I suppose you could be both.

shane0911, StaceyO, leroy7500 and 2 others like this.
  5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Oh I'm sorry he was Lou Saban's son. That was his claim to fame before LSU put him on the map. If anyone here thinks that he would be at Alabama right now had he not coached at LSU I need your dealer's number ASAP because my shit isn't good enough.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

"Nick Saban shares his last name with another famous football coach, Lou Saban. Lou's wife Joyce has stated that the men might be second cousins, but that the families are not sure if they are related."

TigerTap likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I was trying to give the guy something pre LSU, fuck failed miserably.

StaceyO likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

All historic teams but all whose programs were down in 2000.
    You are letting your hatred of Nick Saban cloud your judgement. Hate him or not and whether he was a howling success at Michigan State or not he is now what he has driven himself to become, the greatest presently active coach and by the time he is finished maybe right up there with Bear Bryant.

If you refuse to give Saban credit for rebuilding an LSU program that was in the toilet at the end of the 1999 season give the credit to Mark Emmert. He hired Saban. Where would LSU football be today if Saban had turned the job down? The fact that Saban was the hire means that either LSU didn't go after any of the "name" coaches at the time or there was no interest from any of them. So who would LSU have hire? At the time Mack Brown had already been the Texas coach for two years.
    Bob Stoops was in the process of building Oklahoma to a National Championship in 2000. Urban Meyer was still at Bowling Green and hadn't made a name for himself yet. Butch Davis probably wouldn't have left Miami at that time. Frank Beamer had previously turned the LSU job down. Marshall finished 13-0 and ranked #10 in the AP poll in 1999. Their coach, Bob Pruett was hired by Virginia in 2004 and he failed miserably. Southern Mississippi's Jeff Bower was in the midst of a great run there after replacing Curley Hallman. Does LSU go down that road again? Moo U was 10-2 and ranked 13th. Would you have rather hired Jackie Sherrill?

Whoever LSU would have hired most certainly have not been near as successful as Nick Saban. Maybe he would have been just good enough to not get fired and LSU wouldn't have been in a position to hire Les Miles in 2005. Miles would likely be the head coach at Michigan now. Saban would have probably either stayed at Michigan State another year or taken some other college head coaching job. Michigan State did finish the 1999 season at 10-2 and ranked 7th.

Saban may be an asshole but for five years he was our asshole. I would rather eat dinner with Les Miles than Nick Saban. I would rather play a round of golf with Les (Does Nick even play golf or do anything for fun other than think about football?" I would rather sit next to Les than Nick on a long plane ride. But if I had to pick one coach to gameplan for one game to win the National Championship I would have to pick Saban.

Maybe you should blame Terri Saban. A couple of years ago Nick and Terri were driving through West Virginia and they had to stop for gas. The guy who came out to pump their gas turned out to be Terri's old boyfriend. Nick chuckled and made the snide remark "If you had married him you'd be the wife of a gas jockey." Terri told Nick, "If I had married him he would be the head coach at Alabama."

cajdav1, shane0911 and LSUDad like this.
  9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

It's all subjective. Both Saban and Miles deserve at least a portion of the credit for our Golden Era, but perhaps not as much as Huey P. Long with his creative (crooked?) efforts nearly a century ago.

shane0911 and LSUDad like this.
  10. Noth1ngfaced

Noth1ngfaced Veteran Member

Georgia lost 2 games in 2007 and dominated in their BCS game, also. Why didn't they get a split title?

USC lost 2 games in 2007 and dominated in the Rose Bowl. Why didn't THEY get a piece?