Did anyone think that the OL blocked well in the Cotton Bowl

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Jan 9, 2003.

1. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

I don't know you tell me but does the OL look better when Wilkerson is out of the line. Last year the kept putting Wilkerson in as a Freshman and had to pull him and the line did better. Like in the SECCG second half Rob Sale played center and John Young played guard the line did much better in the second half. In the Cotton Bowl the line looked very solid with John Young at center and all year the line struggled in my opinion.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I dont think so at all, I noticed a big difference in running up the middle with Wilkerson out of the game. Matter of fact my section was getting a bit upset because they kept trying when the draws, sweeps etc etc seemed to be working better.

I think without him the middle is very weak.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've been disappointed in the OL all year. There is no part of the team with more HS All Americans than the OL, yet only Peterman gets any SEC attention. We have big, strong, talented guys there but they have underperformed. Maybe the new line coach is the answer.

I can't complain about Wilkerson, he was green last year and hurt much of this year. I do have a problem with Reed being out of position. As smart and strong as he is, he lacks the height to get leverage on a quick defensive end, as we saw in the Cotton Bowl. The guy maybe needs to be a guard, not a tackle.

This line has cut down on holding penalties, we didn't get many this year. But they get way too many illegal procedure penalties because they can't seem to count to "hut two".

We need a dominating line if LSU has any hope of a run at the SEC much less the NCAA championship.