Did anyone who watched the game notice

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by J_Oats, Oct 21, 2002.

1. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

How horribly annoying the announcing team was? The play by play man had the voice of a dj on an 80's station, and he kept pronouncing everything wrong and just saying dumb stuff.

He pronounced Chad lavalais like he was rhyming it with Oregon States city, Corvalais. Do a little research buddy.

Very few things worse than a bad announcer for a football game.

Also, how many carries did Joseph Addai get?

2. la tigra

la tigra Freshman

yes! even though I don't know what you mean about the Oregon city...I did notice he pronouced it wrong....
    and he said Devry Henderson's name- Dev-ery.....
    there were a few more....I made the comment don't they have a pronounciation guide.....how hard is it to show pronuciation for lavalais....la'-va-lay

3. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

There is a pronunciation guide on page 8 of the 2002 Media Guide. Since the ESPN2 crew is considered part of the "media," I assume they get copies of the guide. Failure to even glance at this, especially since we typically have names that are difficult for non-Louisianians to pronounce (see Norman LeJeune), is just a pure lack of homework on the part of the announcer. (BTW, Todd Christenson is pretty horrible, also. Didn't he announce American Gladiators at some point?)

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

The worst part about it was that the other guy kept passively correcting him. He would pronounce the names right almost immediately after Mr. 80s DJ said it wrong. I thought I was going to jump out of my seat the next time I heard him say "Hoofkin" or "Lavalass". And both of those guys have started in previous years. Whats the deal?

5. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Speaking of Todd Christenson, he was fired years ago from NBC because he was as annoying an annoucer as there was at the time, and he totally lost it one time on the air while criticizing something that was going on near the end of a game (a playoff game I think), and his partner at the time, Charlie Jones, was embarrassed to be in the booth with the guy at that moment. I'm pretty sure it was that on-the-air episode that caused Christenson to get fired. However, since Christenson has been at ESPN he's tried to get better as an announcer, and I think in many ways he has, in all fairness to him. He think he did a LSU game last year, and I thought he did a decent job.

Speaking of name-mangling, someone else on ESPN News called Shyrone Carey "Shyrone Corey" during a highlights reel.

As for Joseph Addai, he's playing hurt and it was the reason he had only 7 carries. Saban said after the game a few Tigers are playing injured, including Peterman, Allen, Wilkerson, Spears, and Addai.