Did Bama screw up???????????

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, May 3, 2006.

1. TigrinumMajor

TigrinumMajor Founding Member

Care to place a small wager on that?

2. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

I will....If you'd pay up...

3. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Sure. If after the 2007 season Auburn still has the streak going at 6 in a row. I will sign every post I make here with "War Eagle" but if Alabama wins either this season or next season to stop that streak, you must sign every post here with "Roll Tide".

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Not from my mouth, but from both Curry's and Ingram's. Both said, it was the contract issue.

Now, that being said...Curry being forced out as compared to Curry not being able to handle the job. There is where it lies.

Curry didn't sign his contract...didn't like it...and that was the "reason" he went to Kentucky.

He couldn't handle the job at Bama. To that, there is no doubt. Call that being "forced out?" OK, I'll give you that. fRan was forced out also.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The biggest thing I find interesting about this thread is the current LSU coach tried to get the Alabama job twice, but couldn't.

Did Bama screw up there...or has LSU?

6. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

this point has been addressed before. he needed to take a 2nd tier major job and succeed before going to a top program.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'll repeat what I said the last time you posted this comment. You never answered with your usual true facts and inside info.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Touche'. I figured you would come back at me on that comment... :hihi:

He made the "short list" the first time. Didn't get an official interview although he was involved in a few phone calls. Ironically, since you mentioned Stallings, it was both CGS and Lee Roy Jordan who pushed for Fran.

He didn't make the "short list" the second time around. He did voice his interest in the job, but Moore passed on that one before it went that far.

The first two coach's interviewed before Fran were Beamer (called expressing interest in the job after Dubose was fired) and Davis. Davis was offered the job, accepted, then changed his mind and went to the NFL. Fran was 3rd on the list. Miles had his chance...just one of those things that happen in job interviews....the contact/relationship just didn't click with Moore.

The second time it was Leavitt and Riley that were interviewed...then Moore went with Price....who was the 4th choice after Beamer called Moore and they talked about it over a 2-3 day period.

You know, I would consider the OSU job more of a major job than coaching at TCU.

I will admit, given the choices between Price, fRan and Miles it's a wash. Character issues...Miles wins in a land-slide.

Ironically, Bama interviewed Bowden before Curry was hired. I'd dare say if it weren't for a power play by Bowden (combined with an inept president on our part) he would have coached at Bama. I know he wanted to...turned me off on the idea of "search committee's" in college football completely. Although, after the president at that time made such a big deal about having a search committee he didn't listen to them...just another one of those power struggles between Academics and Athletics.

FWIW, changing the subject just a bit...I think we are seeing the beginnings of another power struggle in the SEC. This one, at USC. Spurrier is already making waves about money...and the Pres. there has all the athletic programs operating off of a zero balance budget this year. I find this story interesting considering their Pres and several trustees flew the schools Lear jet back and forth to NY during the NIT's...but, they only could *afford* two cheerleaders and commercial flights for the team.

When did LSU interview Bowden?

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

1979. There may not have been a formal interview. And I admit that I have no inside information.

According to Bowden, LSU AD Paul Dietzel offered Bowden the job outright and after long consideration he decided to stay at FSU because he had built a team with better short-term prospects than LSU had after McClendon. Translation--LSU didn't offer him what he wanted.

Other stories say Dietzel and Bowden discussed the job and that they never reached agreement on the package that Bowden required. Translation--LSU didn't think he was worth any more than their proposed package.

I imagine that Dietzel recruited Bowden, but something didn't "click", be it money or other stipulations. And I must say, it is hard to imagine an LSU AD actually offering a head football coach job without the LSU Board of Supervisors being involved. It ain't often that happens.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

That's eerily similiar to the story on our end. I think the deciding factor had a lot to do with the time of year...not wanting to lose a step on the recruiting front.

When the Pres at that time, Thomas, set out to hire a replacement for Perkins he put a list together that would be his requirements for the hire.

1)unquestioned integrity (which pushed Sherrill's and Danny Ford's name off the list)
    2) Academics
    3) winning. Placing winning as third ticked off a lot of Bama fans.

Thomas was responsible for hiring Curry and Steve Sloan...but also formed the search committee that brought in Hootie Ingram and in 70 or so days after Ingram was hired he brought in Stallings.

Bowden told the committee that he would have to have the offer right then and there or he was going back to FSU. Thomas balked...then tried to hire him before he got on the plane in T-town but Bowden said "a little to late."

Just as a side note...Stallings had some attn. paid to him before Curry was hired...Lee Roy Jordan formally applied for the job...Bart Starr was talked to (informally about taking the position)...but in the end, it went to Curry.

Seriously. I went to bed one Friday night thinking Bowden would have the job...woke up Saturday morning hearing Curry likely would have it.

I won't say Thomas was over his head...but, he didn't understand how the Academic and Athletic programs could co-exist. (Thomas was offered a scholly to play football at Bama..turned it down and went to Harvard on an academic scholly).

Thankfully, current Pres Witt, understands how both can be competitive and grow together. The incoming freshman class this year has set records for the # of merit scholarships....along with the athletic program in the middle of this campaign/improvements.