Did Bama screw up???????????

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, May 3, 2006.

1. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I read this and have to think the history of alabama football has been built on the reflection of this statement.

2. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Yep, explains why Auburn history books are so thin. :thumb:

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Again. pure BS. First, Fran and Curry's situations were totally different.Bama wanted Fran to stay, they didn't want Curry to stay. And to say Curry was up to the job flies in the face of his recrod.

4. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Much like UT, a program unlikely to be as pure as the driven snow, using the NCAA to bring you down. The equivalent of what we went through, heh? A much better explanation.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I've had some long, in-depth conversations with people who not worked with Curry, but have heard the same account from numerous other sources also. Your choosing not to believe it, is simply your call.

There was a large contingency of Alabama fans that were behind Curry.

Again, we are going to have to differ on one aspect you point out. Curry wasn't up to the job...and, his record has nothing to do with that. Tell me one thing Curry accomplished that Shula, DuBose, Perkins, Stallings and Bryant didn't. If you are thinking about the number of wins it has no bearing. Every coach we've had at Alabama, except one, has made that coveted 10 win mark. The coach that didn't? Ears Whitworth. You look back over the record books and you'll see as soon as we started playing 10 games in a season it was a mark reached.

No big deal that you don't agree with what I've posted here. Consider the fact I've been following Alabama football all my life...I think the chances are pretty darn good I would have contacts with people around the program who share information that you aren't privy to being around.

Sit back. You may learn something. :yelwink2: :yelwink2:

6. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

I respect your comments and your conclusions on Curry, despite the fact that I tend to disagree.:yelwink2:

You are probably right saying "Curry wasn't up to the job"... if you define "the job" as dealing with the mass of fans and boosters who didn't want him in the first place. His record would suggest he was up to the job on the field. However, he was 0-3 against Auburn (and later finished 0-12 in his combined record at GT, Bama and Ky).

Speaking of "having information that you aren't privy to"...
    My wife and I were guests of the Bruno family for the Auburn game in 1989. The Bruno family at that time were big time financial supporters of Bama football, as you probably well know. Sadly, Angelo and other family members were killed in a plane crash two years later.
    We rode down from Birmingham on a special bus. The "chatter" was all about Bama's undefeated season (at that time) and how Curry (definitely still "on probation" in their minds) had better not screw up and lose to Auburn "like he has since he's been here".
    It was the first game @ Auburn in forever... which meant Bama fans were even blaming Curry for allowing the game to be scheduled away from Legion Field, even though it had been set years' prior. Our seats were right on the 50, which made me feel pretty damned "priviledged".
    On the ride back after the loss, this "bus of boosters" were determined to move Curry out.... "wrong choice from the get-go!!, It's over, etc."

So... what you're leaving out of your "shoe contract" scenario, imo, is the atmosphere of the times. From Bama's side, if they wanted him to stay, they would have made it work. From Curry's side, the death threats, the objects coming through his office window, the fact that he didn't keep a bottle in his office for booster visits, etc., etc., would suggest that he was also "done".
    Although Curry has kept an even keel over the years, his wife has referred to those three seasons as the "most demeaning period of their lives".

There was more to it, much more, than a failed shoe contract.:wink:

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I don't disagree...but, with every story/dispute there is a root cause, a final straw, if you will. In this case, there is a lot of BS out there about what was going on.

Ingram, who was the AD at the time, had this contract re-done at least 3X. My memory wants to say it was 4. But, like I've mentioned earlier when the money was divided like it was, no longer a "certain salary" but based on appearance fees, TV and radio, shoe, uniform...you name it Curry didn't like it. If you'll look at the contract he was given at Kentucky...it wasn't about appearance fees. It was guaranteed money.

FWIW, in the early 80's is when the move on contracts was beginning...started with Sherrill and aTm.

When Hootie was hired 2+ months before Curry left his contract was precise; a list of responsibilities that had to be done and the consequences of not doing them. That, was another aspect that Curry didn't like about his new contract.

Once again, there is this notion that Curry had something thrown through his window. Two points I want you to consider. 1) If you were to look at the Athletic Building, see the distance that supposed "brick" would have to have traveled coupled with the fact it would then have to break through 1/4 tempered, all weather glass you would realize how stupid it was that Curry made such a big deal out of the whole story saying a fan did it. 2) If you have ever broken glass...you know where you find the shards. Those shards, were on the grounds outside the building indicating the window was broken from the inside, not outside. His players have repeatedly they really believe he broke the window himself.

The notion that Curry "didn't have the bottle for boosters" in his office seems to be an attempt to paint him is some saintly light. We won't talk about the discipline problems under his regime', grade problems the players were dealing with etc. Again, just like the ole' brick incident it's part of this whole story that has developed over the years, but the way it's ""known"" in the football circles simply isn't the way it actually happened.

What isn't being grasped here is people are tending to believe what they've read or been told through the years. The 80's, weren't an information age. While you may have had fans that complained about him, those same fans weren't the decision makers. The decision makers, the boosters, those whose opinions mattered were "running him off."

fRan spun his yarn about why he left...media outlets printed it for him. Curry, did the same. Neither one of the stories is the actual truth as it has been portrayed....

BUT, whether you believe that or not...I don't expect it'll change your day.

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Too funny... did he call in the death threats to himself, too?
    Good thing he left. He was obviously mentally disturbed.:rofl:

9. TigrinumMajor

TigrinumMajor Founding Member

Deal. Signature deal runs for one year.

10. TigrinumMajor

TigrinumMajor Founding Member

Name it.