Did God Create Sin?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I got into an argument yesterday with a religious person over the notion of God creating sin.

He claimed sin to be an act thus God didn't create it.

I said well God would have created everything and that would encompass sin.

He did not agree and I again rebutted well did God create love. His answer was God is love which I assume means he created it.

So. If God didn't create sin what else didn't he create and what other actions are we going to lump into "God is ..." . Like if I would have said did God create truth, he would say "God is truth".

2. stegaman

stegaman Founding Member

I would agree with your friend claiming that God did not create sin. God created people with the ability to choose, and thus the ability to sin. Sin is a choice, a choice to disobey the commands of God. Sin came into existance when adam and eve bit from the apple of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, which they were commanded not to eat from.

3. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Free will is the answer to that discussion. God made the world in such a way that some beings in his creation can refuse to act correctly. And in their refusal to act correctly some of the angels apparently seduced humanity into doing the same thing. Been some major problems ever since.....

Best, simplest explanation I ever heard was that it's like when an author writes a play.....except in this case the characters can do what they want.

Also, don't forget.....when the author appears on the stage that means......the play is over.

4. tinsley

tinsley Veteran Member

Re: Gawd

My opinion of Gawd is a product Gawd's treatment of Job. C.G. Jung's ANSWER TO JOB reinforces that opinion.

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Free Will is the excuse to the argument. GOD being all powerful would not be able to have such a creature exist that he couldn't manipulate. That would make him not all powerful.

With that said Free Will also took a back seat when he "breathed" the words of the bible into the authors. You cannot pick and choose when you want to intervene into life and then call all other actions Free Will.

Also God would be unable to make something imperfect. Free Will demostrates that.

6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

wtf:huh:

7. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Also an interesting thought.

If God didn't create it, does he then permit it?

Does God Permit Sin? :: Desiring God

8. flabengal

Originally posted by Rex_B:

I'll try and go in order:

-there is nothing in the concept of free will that supposed that God is not capable of violating the free will of the person. It is just that he chooses not to.

-not sure i understand the objection but as far as the Bible goes whichever author you want to point out could have refused. There is no indication (that I'm aware of, at least) that God threatened anyone in that regard. I know there are various threats, etc. if one makes changes or corrupts it but I don't think that is really what you meant.

-I think you've got the wrong idea about free will. It doesn't mean that the creation was made corrupt.....only that it is free to love God or to choose not to.....there is nothing inherently corrupting about freedom.

Jesus had free will, Mary had free will.....they used it wisely, as I'm sure have all the saints in Heaven.

9. flabengal

certainly he permits it....otherwise it wouldn't be here.

Regarding Job, I think you are missing the point of the story. The point of the story is that the Devil (fallen archangel, a powerful being by anyone's definition) is utterly shown up by this simple man Job who resists every temptation to abandon loyalty to God.

In football terms it's like Job makes a goal line stand against the Devil.....thereby humiliating the Devil and making it plain to see for anyone with half a brain that one should be on God's side.

The Devil is always trying to act like he is God and in this case little Job stood him down. A farmer against an archangel and the farmer kicked his ass.......

In football terms, again....the crowd would have started chanting "overrated...overrated!!!" (stupid I know...just having fun...)

10. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

So what is the list of acts that god did and did not create?