Did we see and equivalent play...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hhstigerdad, Sep 21, 2003.

1. hhstigerdad

hhstigerdad Founding Member

to Billy Cannon's Halloween night run? One that may catapult the Tigers to a magical season? One that gives 'em confidence that they can do anything?...We'll see...Hope so!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!:lsup: :eek:ldskule:

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Time will tell

3. rania

rania Founding Member

Hopefully not. Obviously you dont know that Cannon's run came the year after the national championship. The week after Cannon's run we lost to Tennessee 14-13 and later we lost to Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl 21-0.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A lot of people think that Cannon's run for the Heisman and the NC were in the same year. I won $100 from a dude on that bet one time.

5. rania

rania Founding Member

well they were technically in the same calendar year, but not the same football season.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not so. Up until I think sometime in the early 70's the National Title was awarded by both polls following the regular season and before the bowl games so even if the 58 team would have lost in the Sugar Bowl they had already been crowned champs.

I believe that for one year one poll started waiting until after the bowls and the other hadn't started that policy yet. I know that in that year Alabama one in one poll and somebody else won in the other poll, maybe USC

7. hhstigerdad

Didn't mean to infer that Cannon's run catapulted thr Tiger to cchampionship in '59. What I meant was...if the Tigers do win a championship this year, Mauck to Green vs. Georgia could be remembered, talked about, and replayed and take its place in Tiger foklore very much like Cannon's run against Ole Pi$$.

GEUAX TIGERS!!!!!!!

8. hhstigerdad

Didn't mean to infer that Cannon's run catapulted the Tigers to championship in '59. What I meant was...if the Tigers do win a championship this year, Mauck to Green vs. Georgia could be remembered, talked about, and replayed and take its place in Tiger foklore very much like Cannon's run against Ole Pi$$.

GEUAX TIGERS!!!!!!!