Diet Coke

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Does anyone remember Tab Cola? Truly a disgusting drink. It was sweetened with cyclamate which was banned by the FDA in 1969 because it caused cancer in rats. Then they switched to saccharin which may cause bladder cancer in humans and rats. Tab is still sold in some countries including the US.

I once saw a woman in a bar order a gin and Tab

upload_2015-8-10_15-49-43.jpeg

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That stuff was un drinkable

3. LSUBraveheart

LSUBraveheart Veteran Member

Aspertame isn't in regular soft drinks. You're better off with the sugar and high fructose corn syrup poison than Aspetame poison. It turns to formaldehyde when it enters your stomach and hits body temperature. Don't take my word for it. Do the research and see for yourself..................

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Now I am not arguing that corporations are all good corporate citizens or wouldn’t dream of sweeping some inconvenient evidence under the carpet. But I am saying that a decades long conspiracy among industry, federal regulatory agencies, the medical community, and multiple research institutions and individual researchers – all under the nose of the press and lawyers looking for big class-action suits – is implausible in the extreme. I am also arguing that we should fairly assess all the evidence, not just cherry pick the evidence we like and dismiss the rest out of hand.

What does the evidence say about aspartame? A recent published review of all available evidence, including hundreds of studies, concluded:

The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener.

Multiple reviews, going back to 1985, conclude the same thing. Since this latest review there have been more studies, in various countries (how big is this conspiracy?), showing no link between aspartame and brain cancer, and a lack of correlation between artificial sweeteners and gastric, pancreatic, and endometrial cancers.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is true that aspartame breaks down into methanol when digested and one of its further breakdown components is formaldehyde. However, the levels of ingestion are very modest. In fact, there are other foods that we eat that supply as much and sometimes even more methanol (citrus fruits and juices, and tomatoes or tomato juice). There are even higher quantities of methanol ingested when alcoholic beverages are consumed. In the final analysis this methanol is the same as from other common sources. In the quantities consumed from aspartame, it is readily and naturally metabolized to entirely innocuous and natural body components.

tirk likes this.
  6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Including refills, I used to average about 15 sodas/week but now down to about 4/week. I've never liked the taste of Diet sodas so rarely drink those. I recall a similar overview recently about regular coke and how it affects your body (which was similar in negative effects).

As someone mentioned, moderation is often the key. One of my wife's friends is about 30 and battling stage 4 cancer. It was apparently determined that following a Medifast diet for a couple of years (which includes mostly Medifast products) overloaded her body with soy and led to the initial cancer. She didn't realize that she her body did not handle soy well. Unfortunately, there are so many different things in today's food supply that can have a damaging effect on your body over time (i.e. hard to know 'everything' that should be moderated).