Dinner Tonight

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by KyleK, Feb 17, 2019.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My daughters have been here for the last few days. I fixed salmon w/ lemon butter, roasted asparagus with hollandaise, homemade mashed potatoes and sauteed mushrooms. Good eats.

GiantDuckFan, Frogleg and shane0911 like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Beef stew over rice with new potatoes.

I finally got it straight and got the Poer Quick pot that wasn't broken or the wrong brand in the box. Used it for the first time today. I bought some round steak and marinated it, cut it up and browned it and then used the pressure cooker function on the pot. Put the potatoes in with the meat with Cajun trinity. When it was done I used the saute function to reduce the liquid. Used too much water. Old Cajun guy on YouTube made it with an Instapot and only used a half a cup of water. I used a cup and a half. Shoulda listened to him. The gravy was a little too watery but still it was the best beef stew I ever ate. The potatoes were perfect too.

This weekend I will get a good ribeye or New York York strip and try the sous vidr function.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Meh...I enjoy the process of cooking. If I just want the end result, I'll go to a restaurant.

The sous vide does sound interesting to mess around with though.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I could have used a slow cooker but it would have taken a lot longer and the potatoes would have been mushy. Whole process from prep to plate took about an hour, plus the 4 or 5 hours the steak was marinating in the fridge while I was out.

I used round steak because I wanted to see how tender it got. My mother used a pressure cooker to tenderize cheaper cuts of meat but I never used it much. Got so tender I could cut it with a fork.

Only used it once but so far I love this device.

shane0911 and KyleK like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

New York strip topped with sauted mushrooms and onions, baked potato with grated cheese, sour cream, butter, chives and bacon bits. And Oysters Rockefeller soup.

Cooked the steak in my Power Quick pot sous vide. First time I had tried cooking that way. The reccomended setting for medium rare is 136 degrees. The default setting for beef sous vide on the Quick pot is 140 for 2 hours. I found out that the temperature control knob only changes in increments of 5 degrees. I left it on 140 and the steak came out medium. I should have put it on 135 but I didn't want to undercook it. Next time I'll go with 135. From videos I have seen the Instant Pot control lets you change it one degree at a time. Still the steak tasted great. I threw it on a very hot skillet for about 1 minute on each side to sear it.

COTiger likes this.
  6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Damn. I just gained 5 pounds. :D

Bengal B likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Another sous vide Sunday. BBQ boneless skinless chicken breasts. Incredibly tender but the onions and garlic cloves in the bag didn't get nearly as soft as I would have hoped. Marinated overnight with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, Heinz 57 sauce, a little orange juice and spices.

Next time I'll try it with skin on Chuck.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Had an am mart cajun turkey for lunch.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't go to AM Mart often but when I do I get the cajun turkey.

Unless I get the ham and salami.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I wanna try the banh mi but i dont wanna risk it. The pastrami is good and the hot sausage. Used to be 4.99 now 8.50.