Dinner

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by KyleK, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Meat loaf, green beans, cornbread and salad.

KyleK and tigerbait3 like this.
  2. tigerbait3

tigerbait3 Freshman

Almost the same except I didnt have cornbread and I smoked the meatloaf. Highly recommend that method.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Do tell, sounds great

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

It's easy to make in a restaurant because you just assemble it...since at work, I already have the Creole sauce made. At home it takes a while if you have to make the sauce.

Usually, it's an English muffin topped with shrimp Creole and then a poached egg covered with hollandaise sauce (egg yolks, lemon juice and butter.

At the restaurant, I use grilled French bread instead of English muffins because I have tons of French breadlying around. But toasted English muffins are perfect. An easy substitution for Creole sauce is spaghetti sauce. Heat up the sauce and cook some raw shrimp in it. Or cook raw oysters in it. It doesn't take much time to cook either.

To poach an egg, you don't need a kitchen gizmo...just a little pot of water with a dash of vinegar in it. Heat the water to simmering (almost boiling but it's ok if it boils and crack 2 eggs in it. They're done when the whites are cooked and the yolks are runny. Just pick them up out the water with a slotted spoon and jiggle them. You have to guess when the whites are done...they don't jiggle. If they are like a Superbowl, they're over done...like an over hard egg but that's cool if you don't like runny yolks. Feel free to use fried over easy, medium or scrambled eggs if you want to.

For hollandaise sauce, use those packs of hollandaise sauce from the grocery store and follow the microwave directions. In a minute you'll have it made.

When everything is ready plate it up...toasted muffins, shrimp Creole sauce, eggs and hollandaise.

shane0911 likes this.
  5. stevescookin

I'll tell y'all how to make the sauces from scratch in a while. In the meantime, there are youtube videos to use.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Never had smoked meatloaf. Did you do it on a grill? I made mine in as crock pot.

tigerbait3 likes this.
  7. stevescookin

They don't use crock pots in the 7th ward...crack pipes though are De rigeur.

tigerbait3 likes this.
  8. tigerbait3

tigerbait3 Freshman

[​IMG]

Like Steve said, this is how I cooked it.

Actually same temp/time on a grill - I used a ceramic grill, but as long as it isnt gas it doesnt matter. Just put it in a pan and set it on the grill. I used a little peach wood which obviously isnt too aggressive.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I usually use pecan since I have a pecan tree and I can always pick dried pieces of the wood off the ground.

tigerbait3 and stevescookin like this.
  10. tigerbait3

tigerbait3 Freshman

Exact reason I used peach.