Disappointing Season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by conradj, Feb 6, 2004.

1. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Do we now think that a season is disappointing if we lose one, two, maybe three games? Now that we have won a NC, is that our measure for success for a season? I know every team wont be as good as this past years, but they will all be measured/compared to it. Now a days when a Nebraska, FSU, Miami, etc. have 2 to 4 losses, and is ranked in the top 8-15, everyone says they have been disappointing, are we in that category now? Will you be disappointed with a 10-2 record? I really don't know how I would react, now that we have tasted someting so sweet. :lsug: :geaux:

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

For me personally, not getting to Atlanta would be a very disappointing year. My goal is for us to compete annually for the SEC title and be in the hunt for the NC title game every now and then.

As great a run as Florida had, they only won 1 NC. Same can be said about Tennessee. The SEC is too tough a conference to expect NCs on a regular basis.

3. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Yeah, I agree that it will be impossible to win a NC every year, especially playing in the SEC. As talented of a team that we have right now, I do think it would be a disappointment, if we are not in Ga. every year for a while. Especially because I think we are head and shoulders above every other SEC West team.

4. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

Because winning the national title or even playing in the national title is so rare, you have to set your goals on something that can be accomplished every year. For LSU that is the SEC Championship. I know that even this will not happen every year, but as long as our team is always in the running for the SEC title, I will be a happy Tiger fan.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't think anybody who sat through 6 straight losing seasons in Tiger Stadium in the 90's is going to suffer from overoptimism. College kids who have only followed the team in the Saban era may suffer some unrealistic expectations.

What I want is for LSU to be a perennial Top-10 team with a regular shot at SEC and National titles. In the Charlie Mac years, LSU lived in the Top-10. Year after year. I want that back, and I will be plenty happy.

I don't think it is unreasonable for Nick to do that here.

6. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I would have to say no, we aren't at the level of FSU, Miami, or Nebraska yet. FSU has been a powerhouse for years, Miami has been as well (not to mention Miami's numerous recent National Titles) and Nebraska has a long history of dominance. So LSU is not in that category now. We'd have to have at least 5 to7 more years of dominance to be in that category and a couple more Nat. titles wouldn't hurt. Remember this was our first real year of "dominance" and our first title since 1958. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Having said all that, I personally wouldn't be disappointed if LSU doesn't compete for the natioanl title every year. I would, on the other hand, be disappointed if LSU wasn't in contention for the SEC title every year. We will though because of two reasons.....we have the winning combination of the best coach and the best recruiting. Man thats a deadly combination.:geaux:

7. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Re: Re: Disappointing Season

Yeah, I meant more along the lines of expecting to win, like they do in Miami, NU, etc. I would even include Ohio State and USC in the class that expects to win every game. With the compilation of talent that we have now, if we dont see another NC in the next 3 years or so, I think that it may be disappointing to many.

8. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

We have some very tough games next year and we have a big bull's eye planted squarely on our back. This year was special. I expect to compete for the SEC title next year and hopefully the national title. And if we go 0-12, I will still have my national championship gear to wear and NO ONE can take that from us.

9. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

No doubt if we dont make Atlanta, thats disappointment. I know ALOT has to fall in place throughout the course of a season to make the NC game and I wont be disappointed for not getting right back in the big game. We must get to Atlanta often.

10. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

As red put it earlier. being a perennial top-10, and striking fear into any team that we play. Shooting to win the West and the SECCG are reachable year-in-year-out goals for Nick's type of team.

Although, remember, Nick's philosophy is to play like a champion every single down, every single day. Winning Championships is something that comes along from having eveyrone buy into the system. As long as we continue to recruit players that want to buy into this system, we will continue to be perennial top-10 and have a legitimate shot of playing for and winning SECCGs and BCS Bowls.