Disappointing Season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by conradj, Feb 6, 2004.

1. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I will be disappointed if we aren't in the SECC game every year until Alabama is a contender again. IMO there is only one team in the west that should be able to compete with a Nick Saban coached LSU team and that is Bama.
    If the quarterbacks at LSU have the maturity we could easily be a more potent team next year. You have to be lucky as well as good to win a championship so we'll see.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Agreed. Disappointing for me would be to NOT make Atlanta--or even be out of the hunt for Atlanta.

While I want us to win every game we play, realistically, I know that that's a hard thing to do. A season is not a wash if you lose 2-3 games. 'Cause 2-3 loses, depending on who you've played, can still get you a New Year's day bowl--which is always considered to be a success.

3. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

A National Championship every year is great but I think not realistic. Sometimes fate, luck, etc, creeps in. I believe the tigers had a relatively easier schedule in 2003. Although debatable, since Georgia, Ole Miss & Florida were top teams. Alabama. Auburn, Arizona, & South Carolina had down years.
    My point is from now on, we know a NC is possible, but realistically I would be happy with a top 5 of even a top 10. It would be hard to be in the top 5 & not win the SEC championship. So..... I just don't think we can win it every year, but I hope we do.
    I believe the tigers (& Saban) will continue to get quality players, that are coachable. I believe that we will get to the SEC game every year. I just don't think we will win it every year.
    The key is getting the new recruits to play to their potential, & some luck.

In 2004, I believe we will be lucky to have a QB to play as well as Mauck. I also believe we will be lucky to have WR play as good as Clayton & Henderson.

The other unknown is Team Chemistry. Saban has said that the 2003 team probably did not have a true leader (maybe Clayton/Lavalais/Mauck), but had several great individuals that did not require strong leaders (they led themselves). Here's hoping that the last 2 recruiting season's not only brought in talent but also good people. (I beleive it did)

I know I am rambling a little.

GO TIGERS!

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I wouldn't say the schedule was easy ... I would say we had good fortune by having the toughest games at home. This year, just the opposite will be true ... on the road at Auburn, Georgia and Florida.

It would be more impressive to go 7-1 this year versus last year ... on the road in the SEC is hell!

5. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Expectations

I would consider it a disappointing season to enter the last 2 regular season games with no chance to get to Atlanta. While I was disappointed with the 2002 result at Arkansas, I did not consider the season to be a disaster when I considered the situation (Mauck's injury, D James defection, etc.) We will win some and lose some, but I figure as long as Nick Saban is here, I won't be disappointed.

GEAUX TIGERS - 2003 National Champions

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The SEC Championship title is a minimum goal this year. LSU losing more than one game this year (Georgia or Florida road game) is all that I deem acceptable for another dominating season. I can stomach a Georgia loss more than a Florida loss since it's payback time for LSU against Florida. It's time for LSU to start beating Florida especially when LSU is obvoiusly the better team.

Look, the defense will be just as good as last year. Saban is still our coach. Those 2 things alone will propel us into NC title contention again this year. The only way LSU does not make it to the NC title game this year is if 2 other teams go undefeated and LSU does suffer that one loss. I will not be surprised if LSU does go undefeated this year, even with the inexperience at QB and WR. We will have 2 all-american lineman blocking for us this year and 3 other solid O-lineman. That will take this offense a long way. Being able to swap out running backs at will with fresh legs will be critical when the fourth quarter comes around and we just pound it down the defense's throat. The QB will be handled with kid gloves until he gets acclimated to the college game.

7. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

I would be satisfied with winning the SEC Championship and playing in a BCS Bowl in 2005. However, would perfer to play for the NC again especially if the opponent were USC. With that said I think the minimum expectation for a Tiger team would be to be in contention for an SEC championship each and every year.

8. HoosierTiger

HoosierTiger Freshman

I'm a little surprised...When did everyone lower their expectations? I would be very disappointed if we didn't win another national championship in 2005. Conference championships are great, but we know a certain team lost their conference championship and still made it into the BCS Championship game. Winning the SEC year after year is fine, but it won't make the Tigers "great" compared to other programs. I don't honestly think that Coach Saban and the players start the season thinking that its realistic to expect 2, maybe 3 losses and it's 'ok' as long as we win the SEC. The coaches and the players believe they can win no matter who they're facing and what team they put on the field, every game, every season. The fans should expect that.

9. LSUTigers1404

LSUTigers1404 Founding Member

We, the fans need to take the same approach that Coach Saban feeds to his players. Take it one game at a time. Let's not worry about repeating or what will happen the next 7 years yet.

10. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Before you go thinking that Bama is the only west team that can compete with a "Nick Saban coached team", keep in mind that Ole Miss, Arkansas and Auburn all beat the "Nick Saban coached team". Not to mention Arkansas did it to advance to the SECCG over LSU. Bama(IMO) is not the only team in the west that is a threat to LSU, there are a few of them. Heck, Ole Miss was one game away from representing the west in the SECCG this past sesaon. I think you get my point here. It's just downright foolish to say that Bama is the only west team that can compete with LSU.

Like I stated in my previous post, this is our first real year of dominance in the SEC, much less the nation. So roygu, lets not act like we've been an SEC west powerhouse for years.

On that note..... :geaux: :geaux: