Discarded Decorations

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by dallastigers, Apr 25, 2004.

1. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Either ABCnews or Good Morning America is supposed to show the Tape. His website calling it "right wing fiction" and telling Jennings it was a "myth" makes this current news.

ABCnews link

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The GOP is making a foolish mistake in trying to slime a Silver Star winner. Last week they demanded that Kerry release his military transcripts. He did, and they showed that his Vietnam performance ratings were excellent. The man earned 9 decorations including a very major one and was wounded in combat. This is America, and he earned the right to give them back if he wanted to to make a point about ending the war in Vietnam. It's called Freedom of Expression.

I'm not sure if Kerry is made of Presidential timber or what kind of political leader he would make. But I don't question his service to his country, his heroism in combat, or his military leadership as a young man.

This just brings more attention to George Bush's champagne tour of the Texas and Alabama National Guard. Going after Kerry's military record is a political blunder.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I disagree with Red,
    Kerry did the same thing about Bush's millitary record so why wouldn't the right return the favor?
    Kerry is his own worst enemy, If you know that you threw away your medals come clean and admit it and give the reasons why you didn't agree with the war.
    Same thing about the SUV story.

There would be very little story then and at least you would be honest and stand for something.
    Kerry, again is trying to play both sides of the coin and it is showing him flip flopping once again.
    Again no one knows where Kerry stands on anything because its always back and forth
    and all he ever does is attack Bush versus what he would do to fix things.

Unless things go much worse for Bush, I think Kerry is in deep trouble.
    His wife isn't helping things either by not disclosing her taxes when she helped finance his campaign.
    There are far more question marks about Kerry as a person and as a leader.

There is no one excited about Kerry including himself, Its all anti- Bush only at this point.

4. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

There is a reason he constantly has been lying about the incident. If it were no big deal, he would have said a long time ago that, "yes I did do that and it was a mistake." Instead, he has denied it constantly while in office. I am not saying that it is a major electoral factor, but the fact that he hid it makes it a big deal...

5. dallastigers

Red you are missing the point of the article. It is about him going back and forth on whether he threw his medals away or someone else's. He then has been saying that he never said he threw away his medals and that people that are saying this are part of the "right wing fiction" and then abc found this old footage of him saying exactly what he has been saying is fiction.

The medal higher ranking officer at the time has doubts about now is the one that they could not find that much documentation on, but even then the story was more about him going on National TV and saying that everyone can have access to his records in fact they are all out there already. So a Boston Globe reporter shows up on Monday to check them out and they tell him no and what is out now is all that is going to be put out. Two days later he relents and starts to release items.

Drudge is saying the below. I guess Gibson is a right winger now.

6. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

hey red,

i say the dems start bringing up W's and his cardiac kid VP's DWI records.....

What do you think?

this is why i hate politics, it is nothing by trashy nowdays.

7. dallastigers

I guess you have missed all the attacks on Bush and Cheney or was that the "truth" and therefore ok.

8. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Mesquite and Red...If we are making a bigger deal than it should be, why the hell has he straight up lied about it for 30+ years? If it isn't politically damaging and isn't a bad situation, then why did he deny it? It's not something that was just unhatched recently. This is something he has been questioned about constantly and he has constantly denied doing it. Only when he had a national press hounding him about it and digging up info did they find out he has been lying about it for 30+ years.

I would rather elect a person who had a DWI 30 years ago to a person who joined and helped bring to prominence a radical group that denounced people WHILE they were still in War. I would rather elect a former frat-boy than a person that threw the same medals he so proudly has on display in his office onto the Capitol Steps....

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I would like to point out how could anyone honestly vote for Kerry after 9-11?
    Honestly look at his voting record on National Defense?
    That is the only thing Kerry has ever been consistant on in his entire life and its all anti-defense.

Doesn't that concern Mesquite and Red??
    Anyone else?

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Kerry, while claiming to be a friend of the hunter and of law abiding gun owners has voted to restrict your 2nd Amendment right to own firearms in 51 out of 55 Senate votes.