Discussion: Is the Holy Roman Catholic Church the only true Christian church?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUDeek, Apr 19, 2005.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

me.

i think if you dont want non-christians like me add anything to your thread, you should discuss in the round table. the "free speech alley" threads just beg me to freely speak in them. i might be more likely to respect your gag order wishes in the roundtable.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Religions evolve and devolve and no "true path" is to be found. Christians worship a Jewish God, hold Jewish commandments, and venerate Jewish scriptures and prophets. Christianity is simply a modern sect of Judaism, which is itself a sect of the ancient religion of Abraham. Newer religions are evolving from Christianity all of the time.

A dynamic faith becomes dogmatic at a point in time and new sects will split off. This has been happening for millenia. The fundamentalists at Bethany used to be Baptist but they have gone beyond Baptist doctrine and are now a new Christian religion. There are many paths.

3. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

non-issue, imo

I'm catholic but anyone that "follows christ" is a true christian........

We should all know right from wrong........

There is no one true christian church, only people........

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sadly some here aren't clever or open-minded enough to understand what a forum for free discussion is all about. I'm sure there are many Catholic-only forums on the web, but this ain't one of them.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

This is a common belief now, unfortunately. The teachings of Christ are not held by all major belief systems. Islam does not teach you to turn the other cheek and love your enemies. It does not teach you to "hateth" (cleave from) your family and to follow Christ, for example. And of course none of the other belief systems hold that Christ is the only name under heaven by which men can be saved. That is fundamentally incompatible with any other belief system on this planet.

This is exactly what I would like to debate/discuss. I hold that, yes, Protestantism (Luther) was basically brought about by Luther's disagreement with the practice of indulgences (basically, paying for forgiveness of sins) instituted by the Pope at that time. However, from the beginning historically there are holes between Peter and the first pope to actually wield power as the "head of all Christendom". Also note that the "Eastern Orthodox" churches have been around since Jesus's death and have never accepted the primacy or rule of the Vatican.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

In the Lafayette area, churches are sprouting up like dandelions. I suspect the tax laws have more to do with that than Christian doctrine.

7. LSUDeek

Is my request difficult for you to understand? Why are you trying to make everyone's life harder by polluting the thread with your obstinate crap? To respond to your actual post, though:

Your moderation is blinding you to the truth contained in the Bible. Contrary to the unfortunate teachings of much of Christianity, which still holds its members to full observance of the commandments as if we still went to Temple every Sabbath, Christians have died to the law (Galatians 2:19) and are supposed to live through and to Christ. (Phillipians 4:13)

There is one path and that is Christ Jesus. Anything else is fluff.

8. LSUDeek

Do you think you could get 200 people to show up at a building every Sunday and listen to you speak if you didn't have anything different to say in terms of doctrine?

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

"Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it. Accepting that a virus might be difficult to detect in your own mind, what tell-tale signs might you look out for? I shall answer by imaging how a medical textbook might describe the typical symptoms of a sufferer (arbitrarily assumed to be male)."

"1. The patient typically finds himself impelled by some deep, inner conviction that something is true, or right, or virtuous: a conviction that doesn't seem to owe anything to evidence or reason, but which, nevertheless, he feels as totally compelling and convincing. We doctors refer to such a belief as 'faith.' "

"If you have a faith, it is statistically overwhelmingly likely that it is the same faith as your parents and grandparents had. No doubt soaring cathedrals, stirring music, moving stories and parables, help a bit. But by far the most important variable determining your religion is the accident of birth. The convictions that you so passionately believe would have been a completely different, and largely contradictory, set of convictions, if only you had happened to be born in a different place. Epidemiology, not evidence."

- richard dawkins

10. LSUDeek

maybe one day you will write something that others will quote in defense of their atheism. I think the "magic wizard hat wearers" is a good one.