DJ Augustin --- Displaced.

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Sep 17, 2005.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Today an article in the Advocate talks about the current situation with DJ after the effects of Katrina. Obviously, like many N.O. high school athletes, his sports season has been altered in significant ways (for many they are cancelled). He is now playing ball in a suburb of Houston.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/091705/pre_augustin001.shtml

Now, I'm just wanting to get folks' thoughts on a few things. First, I've got to think that this HURTs LSU's chances to land DJ, as it's supposedly down to Texas and LSU for the services of this top 5 PG in the country. With him being moved to Houston, and much of his family being moved to Houston, he's now 3 hours away from Austin, vs. 4 hours from Baton Rouge. Short of some strong "LA Pride" that falls out of this Hurricane, I'd guess that many high school athletes will end up playing college ball where they've been relocated, as opposed to coming back to LA. Thoughts on DJ's situation?

Second, on a more macro level, my theory is that this is really going to hurt LSU basketball long term. No doubt that much of LA's basketball talent resides in the NO area. While LSU recently hasn't really recruited that well from that area, long term, recruiting NO for hoops has to be part of the long term success of the program. Now, I understand that a lot of those families will have now been displaced to B.R. and other LA metropolitan areas, which may end up being good for sports in those areas, but many of the best high school athletes will probably flee to larger "markets", Houston, Dallas, etc. to get more exposure in bigger programs---and it's likely that many of these relocated families will return to NO soon. While I think that this also will have an affect on LSU football, it will be minor compared to LSU basketball, where as we see this year, the impact of one key recruit's fate is dramatically affected.

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Honestly, you never know. Baton Rouge has more people now, but it isn't hurt like New Orleans from the Hurricane.

Then again, with him being in Houston now, maybe he will now go to UT...

I really think thigns are 50-50 now, with LSU with a slight lead...

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

According to Big Dave Roberts, a very reliable basketball source, Augustin is going to play for St. Thomas More this year.

4. clair

clair Rockets

That is right...

DJ is just going to this school in Texas until basketball season