Do all roads lead to Pakistan?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, May 4, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We are already conducting major military actions in Pakistan with ongoing missile strikes. No we won't invade and occupy with a ground army, we shouldn't have in Iraq. India is going to do that after we disable and suppress Pakistan with airpower and a blockade.

Combat troops will be gone in Iraq within a year and in Afghanistan within three. Trainers and liaison troops may remain, but we have those in over 90 countries where they can keep an eye on things.

It gains us nothing. See my earlier posts regarding Iran. We defeat Iran by encouraging dissent and revolution from within that will bring about a more secular government. Pakistan is a far worse problem. Revolution there will only bring worse extremists into power. We will never act in military conjunction with Israel.

Then I must consider it to be nonsense. I'm sorry, but only kooks go this far. Bin Ladin has admitted responsibility and so has Khalid Shiek Mohammed. Evidence is overwhelming.

Easier said than done. We are economically as powerful as we are militarily.

They are intertwined along with politics, and religion. This is a complex situation. We don't have to be vulnerable to be drawn into a war. Obviously the homeland is vulnerable to attack.

Nothing they do makes sense. Suicide bombing makes no sense. They lose their bravest, most committed fighters intentionally. Terrorism makes no sense. When has any nation given terrorists what they want? It never happens, its a losing strategy, yet they persist. It's religious zealotry . . . it makes people irrational and sometimes even crazy. We must not expect radicals to behave rationally.

2. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Red:
    ok, dig this thread up in a year and i'll wager the troop levels are not dramatically different from now.

Red:
    i'll take that wager as well....based on the idea that if the Israeli military acts they got the ok from us at some level.

To sum up I will be happy to concede your powers of political analysis are better than mine based on these two predictions. Whichever one happens first, wins.

The US will invade or conduct massive military operations against a non-nuclear, middle eastern country with loads of oil and natural gas reserves that is a natural enemy of Israel. (Iran) Flabengal prediction

The US will try to topple a nuclear weapon possessing muslim nation that has little oil reserves, is not a natural enemy of Israel and up until now has basically been an ally of the US. (Pakistan) Red's prediction

Flabengal will stipulate......:popcorn:

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

however, you left out the fact they are trying to develop nuclear weapons. if that happens, do all rules change?

and if pakistan topples itself in a takeover of the govt by islamic raticals, do the rules change?

i think THAT is what red, and others (including me), are saying is the most worrisome. your bet seems to ignore that there are things that are in danger of happening in both countries that go against western interests.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Israel has never even consulted the US regarding pre-emptive strikes, much less accept any "OK" from us. Israel is apolitical ally, not a military one.

To sum up I will be happy to concede your powers of political analysis are better than mine based on these two predictions. Whichever one happens first, wins.

Easy pickin's. No invasion is going to happen. Period. I'll give you 2 to 1 on that. What else would you characterize as a "massive military operation?" A naval blockade could happen. Is that 'massive' enough?

That is not my prediction. The current government of Pakistan we will continue to pressure, bribe, and cooperate with. My point is that Pakistan is unstable and we could instantly be facing a Taliban/Al Qaeda Islamist government with deeply anti-American views, a history of attacks on the US homeland, and nuclear weapons. Israel has nothing to do with this contest between us and Al Qaeda/Taliban. Worse the country could descend into Somalia-like chaos with rival war lords and terror factions armed with nuclear weapons.

If a radical government takes over Pakistan, the US will have to take action to protect itself.

6. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Red:
    No, naval blockade would be a more intense version of sanctions....I would say massive military operation means airstrikes....massive, MOAB wielding airstrikes.

But fair, enough....I would also suggest the losing party of the wager would have add the following "signature" to his screen name for the duration of the following football season after the wager is won or loss. You can take a guess who they apply to:

1) The scientific method is responsible for the majority of truth as known to man on this earth.

2) The Catholic Church is responsible for the majority of truth as known to man on this earth.

:sob:
    That should be painful enough to one of us....