Do student sections have the right to be vulgar?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jetstorm, Feb 9, 2004.

1. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

My thanks to all who supported me on my post. I was not trying to impose any kind of religious view on anyone or trying to tell anyone how to conduct their life. I was merely espousing an alternative which I found to work for me and suggesting people step back and take a look at themselves and how they conducted their speech and behavior.
    It is not for me to judge others or tell them how to run their life. My point was that I felt, as adults, we should be able to find better ways to express ourselves in ways other than vulgarity. And this was one way in which to achieve that goal. Just because someone is a student, that doesn't necessarily mean it's okay to act in a certain way. At some point in a persons life, he/she has to begin to take responsibility for their actions, start acting in a "grownup" manner.
    So if I may be permitted, I'd like to add another verse from our Roadmap For Life, The Holy Bible, on this subject.

"What comes out of a man is what makes him "unclean". For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality,, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside a man and make a man "unclean". Mark 7:20-23
    And one of the ways we express those things is how we speak. So I simply offer an opinion, an alternative to those who may choose to try it. I know when I cleaned up my mouth, and I still slip from time to time, I felt like I had cleaned up a sty I was living in. So just like everything from Our Lord Jesus, it's something He offers. It's up to you to choose to accept it.
    Thank you again and God bless you.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

LSU, 2003, BEST IN THE NATION AND THE SEC!!!!!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux:

2. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

This is a football board not a church.

There are allot of people here that belong to allot of different religions and while I appreciate and respect your faith. I think it's a bit errogant to assume the bible is "our" road map for life and Jesus is "our" lord.

3. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Hallelujia Buffy ... did you see him knock Lucifer from that evil looking LB.

Yes Jody ... it was heavenly, no doubt the spirit of the "LARD" gave him strength to drive out the demon.

Buffy, I pray the Tigers will win, this is so exciting.

Me too, Jody ... where's your rosary ... let's say a quick novena for another fumble.

No Buffy, on second thought ... let's get a "HUMAN WAVE OF GALLILEE" going where everyone makes a cross with their forearms and we can beat the Oral Roberts University record of 43 minutes.

Praise the "LARD" Jody! Praise the "LARD" Buffy.

Aren't you so glad they banned cursing at Tiger Stadium, Jody?

Yeah, Buffy, we're the National Champions of Self-Righteousness now, even though we haven't won another National Championship in 45 years since 2003, and we know the LARD loves us more than any other team in America because we're so righteous and good and so high above the others.

Yeah, Jody ... Religion rules!

4. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

You know I've never been a big fan of yours ramah but that was pretty funny...

5. john randolph

john randolph Founding Member

Hey Ramah it took 45 years to win a second title your way. Maybe it wouldn't take so long if we acted differently. Maybe it would give our fans even more pride to be able to say that we can take our children to a ballgame and not have them wear ear muffs. But I am sure with all of your vast Knowledge of how to raise children and on how to conduct yourself in public you are going to have the perfect comeback or reply. So I am sure I am wasting my time trying to talk about anything on this board that you don't agree with. So for the others out there that feel that over the top profanity is too much. I totally agree and so do most of the women, children, and caring fathers like myself who attend the games.

6. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Well, I've done it now! Stick a fork in me and call me done! I've done gone and went and got on Ramah's bad side. I guess you can just stick me up there with all them Okies, Aubies, Ole Pissers and just about everybody else that's against LSU.
    We all know that he's the only one around that's ever right and everybody else's opinion is just for the dogs.
    But I won't apologize for saying what I believe. And of course we know too that offending someone only goes one way!!
    Is it just me or do all his posts seem to contain a lot of anger? I think the boy needs help!
    And LSUGrad, I never intended to put words in "your" mouth. If JC is not 'your" Lord, so be it! I don't intend to make this a church either. Why does my opinion, just like anybody else's opinion, have to be categorized? Just because it's based on a "religious" value, does that mean it doesn't belong here?

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux:

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

20 years from now, the students will understand. For now, have your fun but just try to remember that an LSU game brings together people of all ages, colors and creeds.

8. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Okay, the discussion has kinda gotten off track here. Whether or not you SHOULD curse is a whole other debate. I posted the article to pose a more clear-cut question:

In your opinion, does a fan have the God-given, Constitutionally-protected right to shout or display vulgarity at a university-sanctioned sporting event? If so, why? If not, why not?

And if not, does the university have the right to police and enforce rules concerning what you can or cannot say at their sporting event? Does Tiger Stadium/LSU security have the right, if they so choose, to forcibly silence and/or eject from the stadium anyone who uses foul language or comes in wearing an R-rated shirt?

If you are one of these fans who does believe that your Constitutional right to free speech extends into the stadium or the arena, and that you believe your ticket purchase and the Bill of Rights gives you the right to say anything you want to anyone you want in Tiger Stadium, let me pose a hypothetical to you: let's say Skip Bertman and LSU disagree with you, so much so that they start rigidly enforcing obscenity laws and the Student Code of Conduct in Tiger Stadium on gamedays. And let's say you are one of those unfortunate fans who screams out the F-word when the Tigers fumble the ball and an usher is within earshot, or you are wearing a shirt that says "F*** the Beavers" at the season opener next year, and you get tossed.

Would you be so enraged at this negation of your God-given Constitutional right to chant and display the F-bomb, so incensed at this "violation" of your "dignity", and so determined to fight with every fiber of your being to preserve what you see as an essential part of LSU's legendary home-field advantage, that you would get a hired gun from the ACLU and file suit against LSU, BRPD, LSUPD, LSU Athletic Dept., and Skip Bertman, demanding the right to use hideously profane language as a tactic to distract and intimidate the visiting team?

Would you be willing to take it that far? Even to the Supreme Court?

Does it really mean that much to you?

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

:D :D :D

10. Crackle

Crackle Founding Member

The questions were posed in a way that my answer refects what I believe through the law, not necessarily through moral beliefs and/or religious beliefs.

If LSU is to say in correlation with the statutes that our founding fathers have established, they, undoubtably, have to allow such language to be spoken by adults ( those who do not attend school ) at all athletic events on campus.

The reason being is the First Amendment states that the government can not, in any way, disallow someone from speaking their mind. Does LSU stand behind the stance of our government? That is the question.

How can our country truly be free if we impose laws and sanctions on speech? Who is to say which words can be allowed and which cannot? Everyone's opinion concerning the definition of a "bad word" is different. If LSU imposes laws to deter the use of certain words, which words would they be?

Our courts have held that the following are forms of expression on which the government cannot disallow:

Spoken words
    Written words
    The use of symbols
    Messages on buttons and T-shirts
    Messages on the Internet
    Expressive clothing styles
    The right to demonstrate
    The right to join or refuse to join clubs and organizations
    The right not to salute the flag

When a fellow American does not salute the flag, it offends many people. That doesn't mean it is against the law. No one can force that one person to stand up and honor the flag which is the reason he/she is here. Does that make it right? That is a personal question which can only be answered by yourself. Does it make me angry? It sure does. Is there anything I can do about it? Nope.

Now, is there a loophole to all of this? Yes.

In the case, Tinker v. Des Moines Indep. Sch. Dist. (1969), the court held that students at school do not "shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate." But, it also states that students may not engage in "vulgar, lewd, obscene and plainly offensive speech" at school. Is a sporting event considered "at school"? (I believe it is. ) If so, than vulgar speech, if one is able to define, "at school" is offensive and action can be taken according to Tinker v. Des Moines Indep. Sch. Dist. (1969). The problem here is that this doesn't apply to adults who do not attend the school.

Does LSU have the right to punish a student for using vulgar language?

According to Tinker v. Des Moines Indep. Sch. Dist. (1969), Yes.

Does LSU have the right to punish adults, whom do not attend LSU, for using vulgar language?

According to the First Amendment, if LSU does stand behind it, then the answer is No.

Lata,
    Crackle