Do you disagree with any of this?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 8, 2012.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I heard it pre 2008.

It stopped after that and if I did hear some jackass talking about it, I likely changed the channel.

Not sure what you are trying to prove.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

I can't watch the video I dunno what she says.

She is partisan, she sides with the wrong side all the time, provided is happens to be democrat, all the time. Again, she is the Fox News of the left, and is totally useless like fox is for commentary.

3. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I don't know, I happen to think it was fascinating to learn that we actually landed on the moon and that evolution is a thing and that FEMA is not building concentration camps. Because I see those white RVs lined in rows, side by side, outside of Opelousas and it looks like a concentration camp to me!

4. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

yeah right, good one, Pride. are you deaf?

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I often agree with you around here, but you are completely full of shit about Baby-Boomers. Make your case if you think you have one. Be sure to compare issues with the Greatest, the Gen-Xers, and the millennial generations. You may be surprised.

Dude, most of us have more money than our parents. 25% of us own a second home. The huge growth in the economy in the 90s was due in large part to 76 million Baby Boomers working up to our peak earning and spending years. It is the first generation in history to have most of its members with at least some college education. The list of Boomer accomplishments is pretty goddamned tall.

Do you think all boomers are republicans? Where do you get these stereotypes? Don't you know that most of us have been very successful? Here is a stereotype for you . . . boomers control most of the wealth in the country and will pass a huge part of it along to the slacker generations, who will need it badly.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Apparently you like old news.

I do not know of a single respectable republican that ran this current campaign around Obama being a Muslim or Non-American born.

7. Tiger in NC

Red, we've agreed on most every subject so you are right to point that out. That said, it is obvious that you have taken my statement personally. I was very clear in my previous post that I was not stereotyping every Boomer but as a whole your generation has failed to clear the bar fiscally. I have a good deal of respect for your opinion so I will choose my words carefully but be sure that the facts support my statement.

First, it will be virtually impossible to compare Boomers to anyone other than the Greatest Generation because the generations that ensued after the Boomers have not yet completely reached their prime earning years. Gen-Xer's are, at most, 45-47 years old and have only entered into their prime earning years over the past decade or so. Because of the irresponsibility of the Boomers, Gen-Xer's did not have the luxury of having manufacturing jobs awaiting each and every 18 year old the way they did, thus delaying the onset of Gen-Xer's prime earning years. Furthermore the millenials are barely of earning age and thus cannot be a part of this conversation.

To compare the Boomers to the Greatest Generation is a study in opposites. Where the Greatest Generation survived the depression and fought back fascism during WW2, came home to spark the greatest manufacturing boom the world has ever seen and created more wealth than any generation before them or since; the Boomers created a political chasm in the country as they bickered over Vietnam, creating the labels conservative and liberal and set the wheels in motion for what would become three decades of partisan grid lock; ran up record levels of government debt, incurred unmanageable levels of personal debt that led to record bankruptcy's and continue to rack up the credit card today.

I do not believe that all Boomers are Republicans but the demographics of our past election are indicative of where the Boomers are politically. Take a look at the demographics for yourself but it's no secret that the Boomers were the driving force behind Romney's campaign. I realize and appreciate that you were not one of them but the facts are the facts: 60% of voters in the Boomer age range cast their votes for Romney. In presidential politics, you know as well as I that 60% is a landslide.

Finally, you make the point that the Boomers hold most of the wealth in the country but that is an incredibly poor metric because you are at the age when you are supposed to control the bulk of the nation's wealth. Baby Boomers have also been the authors of political correctness, the war on drugs, lower voter turnout that any other generation and the shirking of civic responsibilities. In fairness the Boomers were also responsible for the civil rights movement which I consider to be the greatest accomplishment of your generation and also one that overcame a failure of the greatest generation. I also believe my generation and those that follow will not be without fault. That said, at least fiscally, the Boomers have been the worst to date.

8. Tiger in NC

they didn't have to, Pride...it was on the periphery of everything they did.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Prove it.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So offer some actual evidence, you have not done so in this post. You are absolutely stereotyping boomers. How exactly have boomers failed to clear the bar fiscally? What is the bar? Be specific.

How conveeeeeenient. So the boomers may actually far outstrip their accomplishments.

Bullshit. The factory rust belt started in the sixties when the boomers were all kids and the GG was in charge. We were encouraged to get college educations because of this. It was seen to be a natural progression from a manufacturing economy to a knowledge economy. There have never been jobs just waiting for any generation. They have always had to be earned, especially for boomers because competition was keen with overcrowded schools and a glut of hirable bodies on the market all at once. Every generation has its issues.

Where is the evidence for this fiscal claim? Who says?

Most of us were still in grade school during Vietnam.

Absolute and utter nonsense. Do you really believe that boomers "created" liberals and conservatives? You can't be this foolish.

But in the real world it means that almost half of the Boomers do not meet your stereotype.

Again convenient. I thought we were fiscally irresponsible and stealing from our parents and our children. So prove it with some real numbers from a legitimate source.

The biggest issue with boomers is that there are so damn many of us that it skews all stats. There are plenty of boomers to criticize, but many more are deserving of much better.

I challenge you to document these claims, amigo. The war on drugs is far older than boomers. reagan was not a Boomer, chief, he was a GG. It goes back further than WWII. Political correctness? Give me a break! Only the term is new. Please explain this "shirking of civic responsibilities".

Exactly. And you overlook many more Baby Boomer accomplishments. But it is typical for all generations to blame the preceding one for all of their perceived ills. My parents generation blamed their parents for the depression and WWII. We blamed them for the Cold War and Vietnam, it is only with the wisdom of age that we have come to fully appreciate their accomplishments. So now Gen-X blame boomers for excess in an age of excess. The Millenials will blame you for being Slackers. Then their turn will come.

That is clearly your opinion. But what is your evidence? I think you have bought into many stereotypes. It's easy enough to do. After working at a state university for the past few decades I have some unsavory stereotypes about Gen-X and the Millennials too, believe me. But I know it is unprovable, as are most of your claims.

I await your answers, Whippersnapper.