Do you disagree with any of this?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 8, 2012.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

the popular ones do. there is far better media out there, but why would anyone watch that or read a book

2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

The vast majority of Republicans are boomers, Red. We just had an election so go check the demographics for yourself. My generation nor the millenials voted for Romney. I am delighted that you are one of the more enlightened, more fiscally responsible boomers but, unfortunately, too many of your peers were not, are not and never will be. It is also typical of the older generations to call the younger ones "slackers" or say that we need to "let go of Mama's tit" when they've been called out so pick your poison.

Your assertion that I have something personal against the boomers is ridiculous and not based in fact. My own parents are boomers and I love them dearly but I have told them the very same thing. You can post all the feel good articles written by fellow boomers about how awesome boomers are that you want but it will never change the facts: Boomers will leave behind a weaker, less financially stable nation than they were handed by their parents. We still love you guys and all but we will pay for your sins for many years to come. That is all.

Winston1 likes this.
  3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Jesus Red get real. We are talking about the work product of a generation. Each generation should build on what the previous one left and leave somethng better for the next. If you can say with a straight face then you can sell beach property in Arizona.

The fundementals of society are worse off. Education is a wreck, the social backbone and the economy is in tatters because of boomer greed. The so called boomers have always cried me first and never beenn willing to take responsibility. BTW that goes for both Rs & Ds, conservatives & liberals.

tirk and Tiger in NC like this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So are the vast majority of democrats! Duuuuh! There are a shit-load of Boomers.

No, you are the one making allegations that you haven't proved. I challenge you again to prove this. The only thing especially different about the Boomers is that there are so damn many of us. But you must blame THAT on the "Greatest Generation".

Your generation and every generation is well represented on both sides.

Opinion, not facts. Prove it. Many of your peers are not responsible either. What is your point?

Yes, prejudiced observations go both ways don't they? Wise up. I'm not surprised that you still refuse to compare Boomers with your own generation. Gen-Xers fear the future because they fear that they can't measure up to the Boomers, who they blame for all their problems.

And you may leave behind a weaker less financially stable Nation that the Boomers handed you. What is your point? It will do no good to point out to someone that is prejudiced and unwilling to listen that we are not weaker or less stable by any measure. We are the SOLE Superpower with unchallenged power and still the largest economy on the planet.

5. Tiger in NC

If my generation does not learn from the mistakes of those before us then shame on us. My generation is just now stepping into power so there is hardly room for comparisons. History will tell the tale here, not token comparisons that are not comparing an apple to an apple.

I have made myself abundantly clear. I understand that you disagree. I can tell that I have hit a nerve and you are miffed about it. It doesn't change anything; it is what it is. You continue to badger me over "proof" and I in my previous post I cited study after study to support the claims I have made. You can keep it up all you want but I meant every word I said and I stand by it. If you could be objective enough to take an honest look at this without immediately taking offense you might see it differently.

I get it that you are proud of the life you have made for yourself and do not want your contribution to society belittled. If you had been listening all along you would realize that I've been careful not to make this personal. Many boomers have done well for themselves and to them I say, "SUPER!" It's nothing personal, Red, so just take it easy. There is a reason why you are the only one who is disputing this.

Winston1 likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You did not. You said a few things (with no links) like middle class families today are 5% less wealthy than their parents. This conveniently ignores that not all middle class families are boomers, many are X'ers and Millennials. And it ignores the fact that there are so damn many boomers that there has always been smaller slices of the pie for us. You say things like tuition has risen since 1967 (again without links) ignoring the fact that tuition rose before the boomers and after the boomers. You simply can't claim one generation is worse than the rest without offering comparisons with the others. I know how research works, amigo, I do it for a living.

I'm not taking it personally, I'm challenging your flawed conclusions. This is a debate forum, if you don't want you opinions to be challenged, best opine elsewhere. The Boomers were not perfect, but neither was the GG and certainly not the X'ers. You cherrypick some problems at a certain time in history and conflate them with the failure of an entire generation, which is horseshit.

I'm not the only one disputing this and I posted links to prove it.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

This generational stuff is nonsense, a media creation.

red55 likes this.
  8. Tiger in NC

You posted a few links about boomers, written by boomers and you call that proof? Give me a break, Red. Look, I have watched these forums long enough to know that your debate style is to digress the conversation until you can eke out a win over a silly point that is completely irrelevant to the issue at hand. If you don't like what I had to say, tough shit. Like you say, it's an open forum and it's abundantly clear who doesn't like being challenged and it isn't me.

You think I'm stupid? After I rebutted your first post on this topic you took almost a week to reply and when you finally did you made a point to say that you had "overlooked" my post. Well, guess what, that's bull shit Red. You are a moderator and you are on here all the time so please don't feed me that bag of shit. It took you a week to come up with a line of shit, to draw some conclusion about how I have a vendetta against the boomers, to try and convince yourself that you were right. I have offered you all the "proof" that I am going to. The data speaks for itself and requires no further explanation. I have tried not to make this personal but the very fact that you are unable to admit the failings of the Boomers is indicative of a generation who squandered so much of the wealth that their parents amassed and is now asking their kids to sacrifice so they can get the full benefits that they rail against.

9. Tiger in NC

It has nothing to do with the media.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

Ok then people evolved and human nature was different or whatever and one generation was different because of birth year or whatever. Also kids born under the Chinese year of the monkey are more determined and capricorns are shy

tirk likes this.