Do you disagree with any of this?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 8, 2012.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

When someone changes the argument to criticize me personally, it speaks volumes. I think your argument is full of shit and I said so. Take it or leave it.

I think you are wrong. Didn't I make that clear?

So now you think you know how I think, act, and believe. Amazing. Mods do not read every friggin' post, you know.

What a shock!

People can disagree and argue about stuff. This is what we do in FSA. I shoot down a lot of phony facts here. Sorry if it ruins your lovely rhetoric.

2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

My observation about your debate style was not a personal criticism as I have often admired the frustration your technique inspires in your opponents. I noted your style, which you have been trying to employ upon me during the course of this disagreement. It's fair game so spare me the "poor me, your getting personal" crap.

You have made it abundantly clear that you believe that I am wrong but that is all you have done.

I never said people cannot disagree and argue. I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy a good back and forth. I'm not asking you to agree with me Red, I could care less my friend. Agree or disagree there is only one version of the truth and as I stated in my first post there is only one bar that each generation has to clear: are you leaving a better country for your children than you inherited from your parents?

We will just have to disagree on this one Red. Nothing personal. I wish I had more time to get into the meat of this discussion but right now I am just too damned busy as I am in the midst of the last "busy" season of the year in the retail mattress world. Perhaps we can revisit this later when I am less limited by time so I can better articulate all the metrics that support my assertions.

3. red55

My major objection to your entire argument is that you insist that all of your opinions are facts. I have no problem with you having opinions that are at odds with me, how else could we debate? But facts are quite another matter. I encourage you to read my current signature quote.

I inherited a country where black people couldn't eat at a restaurant where I ate, where elderly black men called me sir when I was 5 years old. The JC Penneys had two water fountains, white and colored . . . and three bathrooms-men, women, and colored. My mother with a PhD topped out in her corporate job just below Vice President because there was a glass ceiling for women. She earned 75% what her male peers made. I inherited a fearful country during the Cold War where we practiced "duck and cover drills" in school for the day when the atom bombs would fall. A country where our neighbor had a fallout shelter for his family and assured us that he would shoot anyone else trying to get in. I inherited a country with segregated schools, a country that lost a long war with a third-world country, a life expectancy of 68 years, no black athletes at LSU, and 5% of the population had a college degree.

I leave a country that has a black President and a female Secretary of State, a country that is the sole undisputed Superpower where children don't live in fear of mushroom clouds, and still the biggest economy on the planet. If my Mom were alive today she could have been the CE fucking O of her company. The life expectancy is now 78 years and 30% of us have college degrees.

Pardon me if I think that you have not made a case for the country being worse off than it was in 1960. We can revisit this whenever you wish, amigo, but I'll still be insistent on facts in evidence.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

When I was in college a friend of mine was trying to figure if we were young enough to get into "Generation Y"but we probably weren't. I told him that's the stupidest thing imaginable to care about, it's just some asshole writing a column and giving labels to nothing and pretending they mean people are different. It nothingness. I am brooding and I listen to pearl jam and my younger sister is upbeat or cynical or something I have no idea what the fuck they are talking about

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Red you are taking credit for things boomers had no leadership in. The first boomer president was Clinton in 1994. The WWII generation was responsible for 90% of the things you claim for us boomers. In fact the so called last boomer wasn't born until 1964.

Segregation was ended by LBJ and the R's in congress and womens right put in place the same. A WWII vet named the first AA sec of state. We are the sole super power by default and are losing a war (Afganistan) to a stone age country that doesn't have the help and support of a competing superpower ad the Vietnamese did.

Boomers are the bankers and president congressmen and federal officers who brought the world to it's knees in 2008. Yes men and women and AA's and latinos and asians were all there boomers every one.

Boomers are the ones that have spent the US to the verge of bankruptcy and refuse to cut spending or tax themselves to avoid the "fiscal cliff".

Boomers are the ones who won't touch the Social security or medicare plans that will submerge the budget and force us to ignore defense, infrastructure improvements even welfare because they may have to sacrifice a little.

Boomers are the ones who started the "tune in turn on and drop out" of society movement to look after their own and turn their backs on responsibility.

As I have said before Red we took what our parenents made and ate it like locusts. Our children and grandchildren will pay the price. Our self loving generation has never and will never face or take responsibility for its actions.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  6. martin

martin Banned Forever

Was that date set by the Important commission for the setting of arbitrary dates of meaninglessness

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Exactly sport (NOT)...it is the date set by demographers who tracked birth patterns. The boom generation is important because of its mass and ability to affect the nation for better or worse. The twenty years between 1944 & 1964 have been used a a measure for many studies and has been the measure of general discussion for over 50 years.
    So it has both scientific and colloquial merit.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  8. red55

That is the problem that martin points out. The generations overlap to the point that you can't blame a single generation exclusively for anything or credit them for anything either. Much of the criticisms leveled at the Boomers were also from things done by the GG early on and for things shared with the the GenXers and Millennials later on. 1964 is an arbitrary date and some people cut off the baby boom in 1960 when the curve starts nosing over, making Obama a Gen Xer. One writer has said that if you can't remember where you were when Kennedy was shot, then you aren't a Boomer.

[​IMG]

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Based on this statement you yourself have failed miserably as well, since you stupid sheeple fucks decided to re-elect a fool with nothing to run on but insults and free gifts. Guess your children will love you when their paying off Sambos blank check sprees.

10. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Better be nice, we "stupid sheeple fucks," as you have affectionately labeled us, will be paying for your retirement and busting our ass to ensure that your grandkids don't get handed the bill. You might not like the direction the country is headed because it's not the white male dominated world that you inherited from your Daddy, but time moves forward, and, like it or not, so does everything else.

The only blank check sprees that I recall happened under the watch of your boy George W. But he's an older, white male so I guess he get's a pass, right? Because even your pal Mitt wanted to pass out more blank checks in the form of 5 Trillion dollars in tax cuts, increases in military spending and the preservation of tax cuts for those who need them the least. Then again, that probably sounds like a recipe for fiscal responsibility to you.