Do you like LSU or Louisiana State University - Also Booger ?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Jan 22, 2003.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Am I the only one who thinks the players when they do the line ups and announce where they played college ball should say..

"Anthony McFarland - Louisiana State University"

Or do you guys like
    "Tory James - LSU"
    better....

I still have the .wav file of when Shaq was drafted it was a proud and sad moment.
    "With the first pick in the NBA draft. The Orlando Magic select Shaquille Oneal - Louisiana State University..."
    I love the way that sounded.

Also
    I really dont follow the Bucs, but I watch them from time to time to see how Booger is doing. As I watched the Championship game last weekend I saw that he was hurt, is he done for the year ???
    What happened.

2. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

McFarland

he broke his Forearm, I follow the bucs some and I think it was around week 8-10, but he is done for the year he is currently on IR, and as far as LSU or Louisiana St. I don't really have a preference I guess whatever floats their boat.

3. I like LSU since that's what we are most commonly known by.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU , absolutely. Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College is kind of a mouthful.

In the 60's AD Carl Maddox led a major crusade to get the media to refer to us as LSU and never Louisiana State. It works and LSU is nationally recognized by its acronym. Randy Newman writes songs using it. TV announcers always mispronounce "Louisiana" anyway. They range from Loozey-anner to Lu-WEEZ-ze-AHN-ah.

You never think of Leland Stanford University when you see LSU. Hell, they don't even use the acronym much because LSU owns it in public opinion

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Fair enough you convinced me...

What about
    "The Louisiana State University" ;)
    Just kidding.

6. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Speaking of McFarland, those who follow the NFL say he was having the best year of any Bucs DL before getting hurt, including Warren Sapp. I also heard one expert say he was the best player overall on their defense, including Derrick Brooks.

Booger will be a Pro Bowl player before long.

7. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

For me, it depends on the situation. "LSU" sounds better when the media is talking sports. "Louisiana State University" sounds better for more formal things. There's only one real LSU. Look at the others...

UT-Texas or Tennessee?
    UA-Alabama or Akron? :D
    MSU-Miss St or Mich St?

LSU...no one but Louisiana State University!

Best of all, it doesn't spell out a stupid-sounding name like "UGA" (it's no wonder that bulldog looks sad...with a name like that, I would too!) or "UF" (read "oof").

8. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I prefer LSU. Booger is fine since it's not something that he got at LSU....it came with him. Some of these nicknames that are LSU generated I don't care for. I liked "Eddie" for Kennison for instance. But I can't stand "CT3" for Collis Temple,III. You USED to here "CT3 for 3" all the time but if you've noticed you don't here it much anymore.......not b/c they don't like it but b/c he can't make a damn 3.

9. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

Actually, Mcfarland is out because of a broken foot. These broken feet are very bad injuries for these NFL guys, it always takes a long time for them to recover because of their size.

Jevon Kearse broke his foot, was supposed to miss 4-6 weeks, missed 13 or 14 weeks.

Derrick Burgess, a DE for the eagles, missed the whole season after breaking his foot in the second week, was supposed to be out 6-8 weeks.

Hollis Thomas DT for the eagles, broke his foot last year in the last game of the regular season, and rebroke it on the first day of training camp this year, missed the whole season.

I think what happened to booger was that he broke his forearm, played anyway, and then broke his foot.

OSU - Ohio State, or Oklahoma State?
    USC - South Carolina, or Southern California?

10. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

FSU - Florida St or Fresno St?
    UM - Mississippi or Michigan or Miami?
    UA - Alabama or ArKansas?

Kentucky, however, I will admit has unique initials...at least I can't think of any other UK's offhand...other than the United Kingdom.

Ironically, an LSU graduate designed the interlocking UK on the Kentucky helmets, etc.