Do You Realize

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That LSU beat Florida by 2 more points than Miami did?

2. Pitkin Tiger

Pitkin Tiger Founding Member

Do you also realize

that Nick called off the dogs or it could have been worse. He is so classy when it comes to NOT running up the score. Ron Franklin and Mike Gottfried made mention of that fact too as the game announcers.

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

You realize its the same margin of victory from last years game? Only we are on the good end this time. 44-15, 36-7, 29 points each.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Do you also realize

While Nick is a classy guy who doesen't like to run up the score I remember a couple of times that Visor Boy ran up scores like
    58-3 and 56-13 Even though Spurrier is no longer the Gators
    Head Ball Coach they are still Florida and besides that I would have liked to see him run up the score on the Gators for the following reason: While the margin of victory is supposedly no longer a part of the BCS formula the polls are still a big factor and a lot of poll voters are impressed by MOV
    Assuming that LSU can win out (and after this weekend I am convinced that it is a real possibility) it would leave the Tigers with a 12-1 record after the SEC title game. Would that be good enough to go to the Fiesta Bowl for the BCS Championship game?
    Maybe, maybe not. While everything fell into place last year we can't count on teams we don't play losing at the right times again.
    I think that Miami has had their scare of the year and will probably be udefeated. V Tech is capable of winning the rest of their games and even if they lose to the Canes they would have a win over LSU to their credit. Oklahoma could end up undefeated which would shut the Tigers out of the title game in any case but what if they should lose a game? I can see a senerio where at the end of the regular season and the conference championships there could be several teams with only one lose. Besides Oklahoma and V Tech there could be Texas, Ohio State and Michigan (and horror of horrors Notre Dame although I think the Irish will lose to at least Florida State and hopefully to at least one more team.) Exce[t for V Tech all of the above teams automatically get more national respect with the poll voters than LSU. V Tech would have the advantage of a head to head win. Before the opener with V Tech Nick Saban stated that the Tigers could win the opener and go 1-11 or lose it and go 11-1 and win the National Championship.

While none of this would mean that any of those teams who might be rated ahead of LSU by the bullshit BCS formula would actually beat the Tigers on the field it could work out to lock the Tigers out of the Title game just like it did to Oregon last year.

When are they going to come to their sense and start having a playoff system?

5. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

The BCS might help the Tiger this year. If we were to win out, and all over conference leaders had a loss (PAC10, BIG10, Big12, Big East) I would guess that the winner of the SEC would find themselves in the Fiesta. Overall the biggest factors in the BCS is strength of schedule, quality wins, and a tough conference (all are covered in the SEC).

It is still too early to think about such things. We beat the Gators and the polls moved us up a little. I feel we are getting slighted for being upset by Vtech, we did lose badly (but they are undefeated and look like they could remain that way . . . until Miami). The West is still open, Bama is tough and so is Ole Miss. I think we can beat Auburn and South Carolina; but Bama, Ole Miss, and Ark worry me. Anyway, I like what Saban is building. The Tigers played well and look strong going into the SEC schedule.

But, if everything pans out and the Tigers don't lose another game then it is possible the BCS would help the Tigers get into the Fiesta (with a bunch of 1 loss teams upset).

6. IslandGator

IslandGator Freshman

Ummm

Not to take anything away from the LSU win...but what did the coach do to purposely avoid running up the score? I was at the game and it seemed that your first team offense was on the field the entire game and during the last few minutes of the game had tough drives that UF somehow was able to stop just short of scoring. Do you mean by not kicking when they were last on the gators doorstep? Last I checked you did have in your first team and did try to score a TD with less than 4 minutes left in the 4th. Not that I think there was anything wrong with that..I don't think you should ever ask the kids to stop playing their hardest. I say props to the Gator D for keeping it from being a total embarrassment (you guys getting 50!) and way to go Tigers.

7. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Well, to be honest we all were screaming for a score run up since Florida did it to us for years. (See Spurriers Art of War beliefs)

Twice we were first and Goal and Saban simply ran up the middle with a backup RB all 8 times. I even Saw Zook scream "Same PLay"
    It was very obvious Saban was just running the ball trying to get the clock to 0 as quick as possible. THe way the Gators had 8 in the box on all 8 plays a Play action roll out or any sort of play besides a dive would have probably netted at least one more score. When the game was out of reach (And with Florida you need 30 points to call it that) all he did was run up the middle.
    They never passed once they got into scoring position. Even Field goals were ruled out.

Believe me LSU fans are screaming for run ups against Auburn and Florida. And Saban has kept us all in check.

he wont do it, he basically lets the other team know he is running the same play over and over again. Its just him.
    I think if Spurrier was on the sidelines, you have seen Mauck in the Shotgun and more passes and timeouts then you can imagine.

Geaux Tigers

8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Most of the first team was still in the game. However, Mauck and Davis both came out of the game with a lot of time left. I think if Saban wanted to run up the score, we would have scored again. The entire fourth quarter (with the exception of the first play) was pretty vanilla, I thought.

9. IslandGator

IslandGator Freshman

Point taken

I guess I'm not familiar enough with the LSU team. My compliments to coach Sabin for his class. If it were me I would have had the 2nd team on both teams in there trying to get some reps. I can't believe we left Grossman and our other starters in until the last seconds. It's one thing to never concede defeat but I would like to have seen some other kids get a chance to get some real playing time. Go Gators!

10. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Actually IslandGator

We all wish he would have Taken Mauck out one play sooner.