Do you really want this guy in charge?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Aug 13, 2004.

1. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I really hope that sometime in the near future we move to a national sales tax and repeal the income tax. It should make the people who hate the rich happy because they will pay more in taxes because they buy more.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, the film had nothing to do with the free market, which I support, it was about the national public debt. Let me put it very simply, Martin.

If I spend more money than I earn, I will go deep in debt and eventually bankrupt the family because I was irresponsible. George Bush is spending vastly more money than he is bringing in and is trying to cut more taxes during wartime which is unprecedented. His $1 Trillion National Debt is also unprecedented. Isn't Bush being financially irresponsible, too?

You bet your ass he is.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

the fact is you do not support the free market if you complain about outsourcing. if you are in favor of the free market, you cannot be in favor of social security or the kerry health care plan.

i dont pretend to understand the deficit. i am happy to have a deficit, because less money in the hgands of the government is better. the less they can afford, that makes me happy. that means less of our money was taken.

but to be honest, i have never really been properly explained how the deficit works, or who it is owed to, or why it is bad. i do know that in vitually all cases less taxes is better. i dont think a deficit justifies more taxes. if the government wants to spend more than it has, it sounds like we were undercharged and that is good for the economy. i have a credit card. i run up debt on it. so what, i get stuff early. i pay it later. there is value in having the stuff early.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

"As you can see, the largest slice of the pie, over 40%, is owed to the Federal Reserve Bank and to other government accounts; that is, this part of the Debt is owed by one part of the government to another"

and this is bad for us why? i want the government to owe itself tons of money. as long as they leave taxpayers alone. i am still unconvinced that the national debt is bad at all.

doesnt a national debt mean we were given more services than we paid for? i cant imagine that being bad for the economy. and when the economy grows, it is easier to pay off debt in the future with a more robust economy, if we even have to pay for it, which we might not, given that 40% of it the government owes to itself.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's like borrowing from your 401K. You pay yourself back. Nothing wrong with that.

Raises a question though. Will a more sensitive war on terrorism be cheaper?

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yes, its bad for the economy and yes its bad overall but basically people who use deficit and bush in the same sentence really know very little if at all about it. Its obvious if you ask someone, they will post a site like red...keeps them from trying to make up something...not saying red doesnt know anything about it, but even economists cant give you a straight answer usually. I have a minor in econ...not that it means i know anymore than the rest cuz basically I still know little how the deficit works or doesnt work but here's my brief knowledge:

First, the deficit is bad because it gives foreign governments more control here due to having to sell more bonds internationally to make up for it.

Second, the capital the government borrows, which in effect is what the deficit is, takes away from the little guy, namely the private sector. there is only so much of the pie to be divided.

Last and not least, a continual increasing deficit forces the government to be plagued with increasing interest payments annually and it starts to snoball similarly to if you got behind on 10 credit cards at 25%.

Although, the deficit is not inherently bad if cyclical, it is bad if continual and permanent. Obviously the fed gov has to increase spending/reduce taxes during recessions to stimulate growth....most everyone understands this. The real problem is the size of the federal government yet everyone uses the deficit as the big issue. its not.

the deficit comes and goes as does highs and lows in the economy. As far as the deficit being a major political issue, its a load of crap like most of their so-called issues but it sounds good b/c politicians have been using it as a red-herring plus it makes people sound smart when they make it an issue. They know no one can debate them since no one truly understands it.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

but isnt the deficit a result of providing more services than the government has taxed us for? so we were effectively undercharged, and the private sector has not paid as much taxes as they might have?

(i dont really know, i am not arguing. i am ignorant.)

now you are speaking my language.

you know more than me, i majored in politcal theory at LSU. i can barely add.

true, but when considering the positives of the less taxes or extra services that ight have helped the economy, pushing billpaying day further into the future forever may be a good idea eh? i dont know what i am talking about.

all i really know is that the kinds of things the government steals my money to buy is disgusting. then to add insult to injury they pay candidates to try and convince me to vote for them. i dont want to pay to have myself pummeled with advertising. the idea that the government helps pay for the presidential campaigns is symbolic to me of how far we are into the ridiculous.

9. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

Yes, I was trying to be cute, but the real point is once there are more HAVE NOTS THAN THERE ARE HAVE'S, ballgames over, democrats win, people will continue to vote for their free check!!!!

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

on some level, yes it is but that's just a drop in the bucket. the debt also consists of Social Security and that can never, ever ever be paid off. The government uses somewhere near half of all paid income taxes towards the deficit. So, their knee-jerk reaction is to increase taxes to reduce this number instead of just loans and bonds as is the capitalistic way. Or they print up money like theres no tomorrow which is brutal and causes nothing but severe inflation.

see above

once again, the size of the federal govt is the issue above all. dems or reps, its all the same. unless anyone here is a billionaire, then we are just their pawns like the rest.