Do you treat atheist like second class citizens?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bud Lee, Dec 7, 2010.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

are you tolerant of the idea that the earth is flat? why not?

of course it is.

2. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

The last line of this quote says it all. My point of starting this thread is to see if anyone on here felt like they treated atheist different from others because of their beliefs. Not one poster insulted your beliefs Martin, most simply said "to each is his own." But for some reason you continue the, "you are absub" for having a different opinion from mine spill.

I don't think you're thoughts of religion are idiotic, they are your beliefs and I respect them as such. The fact that you seem to ridicule others for theirs is the reason why I don't care for your Internet persona. Though IRL your probably a blast at a office Christmas Party.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Cannot believe I am jumping into this but its riveting.

Martin I got to disagree with you here. Arguing the earth is flat is comparing on apples and oranges. There is infallible and concrete evidence the earth is indeed round. There is no dispute in that
    There is NO way to prove that a "God" exists, or any of the beliefs of MOST religions are based on anything but a book and strong personal belief. Not saying you cannot believe in them. As I said to each is own, but comparing the shape of the earth to an opinion that of lets say the Mormon faith is not applicable...
    Maybe I am reading to much into that statement and you were more tongue in cheek. If so I do apologize...

When you really look at it objectively, the idea of a man in the sky, or that there is a heaven and a hell is pretty wild. Again I am NOT casting any stones at people who believe that. Maybe I do. I am just saying its pretty far out there.
    The earth is round... That fact is indisputable. Which regardless of the meaning of your statement really drives to the core of the entire debate. Religious beliefs and most ideological beliefs are simply that. There is no concrete evidence really proving or disproving any of them. Unlike the fact the shape of the earth..

Me personally I have a hard time telling someone their belief is Stupid. Unless it infringes on my personal space, human rights or my family. OR if does that to someone else either endangering their lives, own beliefs or human rights (several religions fall in that category)

Unless we are arguing about LSU football then you can say your opinion is stupid.... IE Les Miles needs to be fired... (Sorry a moment of levity there)

4. Bud Lee

Except for maybe politics. People hold those two things close to them and generally speaking if another does not believe exactly what the other does then one feels insulted and the need to defend.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

again, my question is this:

do you say "to each his own" when i claim the world is flat? why not?

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

it wasnt tongue in cheek. claims about religion are exactly like claims that the earth is flat.

i claim the earth is flat. you say the evidence doesnt support that. i dont care. i have faith. faith is independent of evidence and doesnt care about reality. its faith, it is mine and you are not to judge it. the earth is flat, end of story. i dont care if reality indicates something else. my faith is something you must respect.

7. Bud Lee

Read texastiger's above post...he said it perfectly.

You can not prove that a supreme being does not exist, just as I can not prove he does.

8. TexasTigers

For me if you want to believe the world is flat.
    Fine with me. What do I care...... So long you are not a teacher and teaching my kid that.

I think the challenge to that is it is a concrete fact the earth is indeed round. So to say you are clueless with that statement is a lot easier to say. To say you are clueless because you believe in a certain god is a much trickier subject.
    Because I NOR you can prove it one way or the other.

9. TexasTigers

"my faith is something you must respect."

I do respect your faith. Very much so. All peoples faith. As long as you respect others.

Very simple.... Again with the caveat your faith doesn't infringe on my rights or the rights of others or their beliefs. Believe the earth is flat and if you dance with a girl or drink a beer you will go to hell whatever that is..
    More power to you..... I personally dont care and would defend your right to death to believe in your faith.... As I would mine. Whatever that may be.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

you cant prove the world is not flat. for all you know the roundness is an illusion. i say the roundness is an illusion, and that god wants us to think that the world is round. can you prove that i am wrong? you cant. so respect my faith.