Does anyone in here think that JaMarcus Russell could throw for 4,000 yards?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerPrideLSU, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

i think it has a lot to do with being able to throw the ball down field now.....

of course we dont know if we'll be able to throw the ball downfield any better this year....but...the two freshmen QBs are better suited for down field passing (or well...just plain better at passing)

throw that in with Skyler Green, Amp Hill (who has just as much hype as anyone), ...and steady big guys like Dwayne Bowe and Buster Davis...

and lets not forget about the top two WRs in the nation...that will sign with LSU in less than two weeks....one of those is the fasted high school football player in the country...and the other is the most exciting La player since Kevin Faulk (maybe even better)

yeah, i think that has something to do with it

2. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

No disrespect to Marcus Randall meant, but the problem with Randall is he hasn't been able to transform game experience into success on the football field. He still struggles immensely to operate the offense and makes the same poor decisions he has always made. Hence, since it is highly doubtful we can win a championship with Randall at the helm at QB next season, I believe we'd be far better off letting the young QBs get game experience behind them next year than letting Randall play. They are our future anyway, while Randall is history after the end of next season, and the sooner we get those young QBs up to speed, the sooner it is we can look forward to winning more championships. Lets get them some valuable playing experience next season, and look forward to some exciting football for the remaining three years of their eligibility.

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Let's not forget that Florida went 8-5. Yes, Leak had an outstanding year for a true freshman, but he did struggle at times. That's what you get with a true freshman!

I won't rule out Randall as a starter, but it's nice to know we have 2 talented young guys ready to compete for the starting job.

It's a great problem to have....

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Why the hell would you just write off next year, how STUPID are you. The best QB should win the job, that's all there is too it. If Saban were to give the job to one or both of the freshmen and we ended up with a losing season you would probably be the first person to start calling for his head because he didn't win with all of this talent.

And to say that this upcoming group of receivers who have yet to prove anything are going to bbetter or even as good as last season is so stupid it's nauseating. Jesus, at least half but probably more of the high school kids coming out that are super hyped never come close to reaching the level everyone thinks they will. Give these kids, yes KIDS, time to grow and mature and a chance to learn and then prove it on the field before you start annointing them as the greatest ever. The guy who said that both Flynn and Russel will both throw for 3000 yards must have been doing acid when he made that post!

Why start putting so much pressure on these guys so early? Let them enjoy their college careers, let them have a good career if they happen to be just good instead of a bad career if they don't happen to be the second coming of Montana, Elay, Rice, etc.

5. cajdav1

Mack Brown has listened to the call to play the least experienced highly touted number one QB recruit in the nation for about 4 years now and Texas has faled to win much of anything. Applewhite bailed Simms out of many a game and this year young had to be bailed out of a few and lost a few.

The UGA fans have clamored for Shockley over Greene and lucky for them Richt chose the right guy.

Go look at the 2001 and 2002 rankings of QB recruits and see if you recognize any STARS, a couple maybe, and most you will hear of. For every can't miss kid who makes it I can give you 5 that didn't, in any sport. If the NFL can spend millions on drafting and most of those guys don't make it how can you expect colleges to be so perfect.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I have mixed feelings. When you sign a Parade All American, you expect him to start. Russell could be a star before he's done. Of course, we haven't seen Flynn or Russell play yet, . . . Flynn could be better.

On the other hand, Randall isn't a green QB, thrown to the wolves anymore. Rohan Davey also had three undistinguished years before having a 3,000-yard senior season. Randall may hold his own against rookie competition.

The spring game will be HUGE.

7. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Here's a question: What if Randall wins the QB job in the spring and is our QB next year? Will you be upset?

All I know is that we have got to trust in Coach Saban, Period

8. cajdav1

Nope, that would mean he earned it and that Saban thinks he would give us the best chance to win. and that is not to say that in our OOC games you can't give the other guys a chance to prove what they can do. And if we are doing what we are supposed to be doing in those games you can have the #2 play early with and against starters.

9. TigerPrideLSU

TigerPrideLSU Founding Member

Hey cajdav1, I said one day do you think JaMarcus or Flynn could throw for 3,000 yards. I didn't say this coming up season, but one day.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Remember Ro 2 years ago?

I think it could happen also, maybe next year, maybe the following
    year.

Actually,

I don't think it will happen in a day, I think it will take most of the
    season!;) :D