does anyone think the SEC made a mistake with South Carolina and Arkansas?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ralph_Wiggum, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Since Frank Broyles is the person who found the rule to allow a CG if a conference has 12 teams, the SEC owes Arkansas. Dropping them would be a big mistake.

USC was the team that wanted to join. I say forget FSU.

12 is the perfect number. Any less and we lose the SECCG. Any more and you start losing the ability to schedule enough teams from the other division (Remember, 7 teams in the division means six divisional games, leaving 5 games for other division and OOC oponents.) A 14 team league would finally eliminate any quality OOC games by any SEC team.

I like it the way it is.

GEAUX TIGERS

2. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

The SEC also invited Miami before they joined the Big East...

They, like FSU, also pussed out.

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I WANTED FSU & UM...

They both weenied out.... :dis: :dis: :dis:

4. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

I like the way the SEC is as well. You cant have all Big names in your conference. There really needs to a BIG team for each sport. Or at least a few good teams and then every once and awhile have some of the middle of the road teams nipping at the the heels of the big boys. You can't just look at one sport and make your decision. Plus things run in spurts. Would someone ask this question back in the early 90's about Arkansas? They did win the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship. So they have contributed in some major men's sport.

Look at all sports and I am just thinking of what I know. I know I am missing something.

Football Tough teams: LSU, Tennessee, UGA, UF, Auburn

Baseball Tough teams: LSU, South Carolina, Vandy were all good this year

Mens Basketball: Kentucky, Alabama, Florida, Miss State

Womens Basketball: Tennessee, Vandy, UF etc etc

Track: LSU, Tennessee

Like I said I just did this off the top of my head. I know there is much more and I am just going off recent history. Each team contributes in some sport some way. Yes, even Vandy as impossible as that sounds...

But I will agree in recent history Arkansas and South Carolina have not made a major impact but the rivalry between South Carolina and UGA is a hot one regionally. And without Arkansas we wouldnt have any classic OVERTIME games in Football! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually the team who has done very little overall since joining the conference (minus baseball) is South Carolina but after thinking beyond the record books in football, its not their fault they joined in 1990 when Visor Boy was coming into his own and dominating like no one before. Phat Phil hasn't helped matters for them either. I bet SC would have gladly taken the Hogs place in the West as opposed to the East but not so sure now.

I like the SEC as it is as well but always thought West Virginia was the perfect fit due to their style of play and locale.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The 12 team SEC is perfect just like it is. Leave it alone!

7. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Ralph, name the last time a team was kicked out of a major conference that didn't want to leave, except for being extremely uncompetitive (like Temple and the Big East).

Exactly.

In other words, it just doesn't happen. The problem with your argument is, at the time the SEC was looking to expand, neither Va Tech nor Miami (Fla.) were interested in joining the SEC.

8. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

UT88, I know this is off topic, but I *still* can't believe that Clint Stoener slipped in that game in Knoxville.

Man, the Hogs gave you guys all you could handle in that one!

9. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

Yeah, I can't believe it either. Most teams that win the national title have to have a few"Lucky" breaks. There was actually a reason he slipped but it was still lucky that he did. Billy Ratliff made a monster move on the offensive Lineman that game and bull rushed the blocker into Clint. That made him stumble and the rest his history. But yeah and I will even admit it. I was walking out of the Sports Bar and paying my tab that day. Needless to say the day went on a little longer after that :thumb:

I put that luck up there with Nebraska from the year before. Talk about luck, anyone remember the tipped pass that was then bounced off the guys foot and then bounced up into another players hands in the endzone to beat Missouri? They went on Undefeated and won a share of the title.

Yeah, got to have a little luck to win it all. But you still have to be good to.:grin:

10. LSUTigers1404

LSUTigers1404 Founding Member

Bring back Tulane! :thumb: