does anyone think the SEC made a mistake with South Carolina and Arkansas?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ralph_Wiggum, Jul 21, 2004.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Wow, was that a mistake on their part or what? Tulane left voluntarily. Sure, if they had stayed in the SEC they'd just be another Vanderbilt but (a) they'd be able to recruit slightly better players because they are in a major conference and, more importantly, (b) they'd be making more $$$ due to the conference's revenue sharing policy.

Also, the LSU-Tulane rivalry would go on forever since they'd play every year.

Oh well, sucks for them.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Unlike Vanderbilt, Tulane couldn't stomach the losses and left in search of some wins. Its tough for a private school to compete with the big state universities.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You're right. When are private schools Notre Dame and USC going to give up their futile attempt to play with the big boys and drop down to small ball football?

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Not exactly the same but kind of similar to Eli last year.

5. TONITIGER

TONITIGER Freshman

Bowden said he could never win a national chanpionship having to play
    SEC teams every weekend. Texas & Texas A & M were forced by the Texas
    Legislature with a threat of pulling their funds not to join the SEC.

6. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Wow, I never new that. Do you have somewhere I can go to read more about that, I'd be kind of interested in finding out more about that.

7. ConwayCock

ConwayCock Founding Member

Nice to know you guys are ready for us to leave. I did not think we were such a bad school.

We pack home games; we travel well

for the most part we are competitive in most sports.

What gives :usaflagwa

8. BB

BB Founding Member

South Carolina is a great school with a great fan base in one of the most attractive areas of the country. South Carolina is a fine addition to the SEC and they should remain in the SEC forever. If you have never lived in South Carolina you are not qualified to speak about the school, the fans and how great of a fit they are in our wonderful Conference.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Guys, look at a little factual history here. Arkansas dismantled the SWC when they left and the main reason they wanted to leave was because just about every team in that conference had gone on probabtion, one of the teams received the death penalty in football and they were treated like an outsider since they were the only non-Texas school. The SEC was a perfect fit for the Razorbacks and they have been a very good addition to the SEC.

If you go look at the history of the SEC you will find that FSU applied for membership in the SEC about a half dozen times, the SEC took it up at their meetings on several occassions and voted against expansion each time. I think that may have had something to do with them not joining the SEC at the time.

I don't think West Virginia or VA Tech would have been a good fit they can stay where they are. South Carolina is also a perfect fit as it gives the SEC presence in one of the more southeastern states that we had no school in before. I like them in the SEC also. Their rabid fanbase fits in well with their sold out stadiums.