does CBS do a good enough job with the SEC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ralph_Wiggum, Jun 25, 2004.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'll say this, I love that the SEC is the only conference on CBS during the season and that we have that same slot every Saturday.

2. '95tiger

'95tiger Freshman

I like CBS's HDTV covarage. I don't understand why they wouldn't have double headers. Have a 3 pm game then a 7 pm game. The SEC has enough good matchups every week to support that. What else is being shown on sat. nights. Can't be that many people watching murder she wrote.

3. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

[QUOTE='95tiger]I like CBS's HDTV covarage. I don't understand why they wouldn't have double headers. Have a 3 pm game then a 7 pm game. The SEC has enough good matchups every week to support that. What else is being shown on sat. nights. Can't be that many people watching murder she wrote.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't mind ABC's regional coverage. Where I live I'd much rather see a big ten game than big 12 or acc or big east. I don't know why cbs can't do regional coverage. If Georgia is playing Kentucky show that in the Eastern half of the SEC and then if Ole Miss is playing Alabama show that in the western parts of the SEC. Give the rest of the nation the bigger game. CBS doesn't start its SEC coverage until the 18th. That is pretty weak. ABC starts its coverage on the 4th with a lot of regional games. I also don't understand why CBS can't do a 12:30 and 3:30 game every saturday with an ESPN game at night that's three SEC games done nationally. JP is a waste. Having that early game on CBS would be much better. ABC will often have noon and 3:30 games. In fact on the 4th, Michigan is playing Miami,OH on noon and Rutgers is playing Michigan State at 3:30pm. Now you tell me. Isn't ABC doing a better job nationally and for the big ten states than CBS is doing for the nation and the SEC states.

At one level I'm not complaining, being in big ten country I'm looking forward to that saturday, but it would be nice to have an SEC game to flip to. The LSU OSU game will be on ESPN, which is great, but I wonder why ABC didn't make that a regional game?

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Why on Earth would we rather have "regional coverage" games on ABC over the national coverage on CBS? I don't care how many match-ups from the SEC get shown on Saturdays. I do care that LSU (for quite a while) is always available to watch somewhere, and I don't have to worry (since I live in Big 12 country) about having to watch Baylor vs. Iowa State because of regional coverage!

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

One of the reasons the college football association was formed was to wrestle control of the TV contracts away from the NCAA so that more teams could be on TV and conferences could have a lot more say on what fgames were televised and when. One of the biggest reasons for this, besides money of course, was because of fans disgust with the regional games. So many times during the season the Louisiana market would get some BS game like Teen.South carolina when the national game was Oklahoma/Texas or USC/Notre Dame or Ohio St/Mich or even a much better SEC game. It was horrible.

Pretty much all of the SEC would rather see the biggest game of the week, not one closer to their region, except for the fans of the participating schools.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

[QUOTE='95tiger]I like CBS's HDTV covarage. I don't understand why they wouldn't have double headers. Have a 3 pm game then a 7 pm game. The SEC has enough good matchups every week to support that. What else is being shown on sat. nights. Can't be that many people watching murder she wrote.[/QUOTE]
    Think about it ... why doesn't network TV show college football in prime time? RATINGS!

College football ratings don't come close to prime time ratings of their normal lineup on Saturday nights. I know this make be shocking to some of you, but there are alot of people in this country who have no desire to watch college football.

7. tigerfan1303

tigerfan1303 Founding Member

I guarantee you if cbs showed prime time games that the ratings would defiantely go up for cbs on Friday night. I like beening on Cbs but i do think they should do a double header every saturday. I am also sick of cbs always showing Uga football games

8. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

My main issue with CBS was when the whole OU/USC/LSU fight for the Sugar was happening, the announcers had no clue that LSU had a real shot at getting in. They assumed it was OU/USC all along, and were ill informed when our very own Isistl (sp?) had figured out everything that needed to happen for us to get in, and obviously it happened. Only when OU was shown losing (which had nothing to do with our chances) did they start to ponder the possibility of us making the Sugar bowl. If you are going to cover the SEC exclusively, then at least know if one of the teams from that conference has a shot at the title game. Am I asking too much? :confused:

9. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

12 day window

CBS has 12 days (monday of the week before a game) to claim a game to show. so they are showing an sec game each saturday, but they arent listed because they havent chosen what game they will show. if lsu rolls, expect all of their sec games that arent scheduled for espn to be shown on cbs

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

If ratings would go up, then what is the reason for the networks not to carry prime time games? It's not just CBS, you also don't see ABC and NBC showing Saturday night games on a regular basis.

Trust me, there are alot of americans who sit home and watch TV on a Saturday night ... and they don't want to watch college football. If they did, it would be on TV!