Does Frank Wilson equal more local boys?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by tboy, May 29, 2011.

1. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Last year we took 16 in-state guys. This year we already have 11 local boys with verbals. Before last year we normally averaged around 10 Louisiana players a year if I remember correctly. I couldn't access the numbers from years' past for some reason to give exact counts. I know we had an exceptional abundance of talent in LA last year, but the early offers to LA boys this year has me wondering if there is more to it. I know we aren't going to pass up 5 star talent from out of state, but I think maybe we are judging the talent in our backyard a little differently. Since the rise in local signings seems to correspond with Wilson's arrival, it is only natural to wonder if he is influencing it. What do you think?

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That is exactly what Miles and Frank said when he was hired. They were going to concentrate harder on the local guys which is an easy decision given they knew they next 3 plus were going to be loaded.

This class doesn't have as many headliners as last year but a little deeper at top especially on defense.

Next year we will have another deeper class but with more headliners but probably not as many headliners as 2011.

3. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Care to take a guess at how many of our recruits will be local this year?

4. bhelmLSU

Probably about the same as last year.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Better in state talent means more local boys. Less in state talent means more out of state recruits. I don't think Wilson's hiring has any effect on where we recruit. LSU was already getting almost every La player they wanted, it's just that some years the state doesn't produce the players needed.

6. bhelmLSU

I agree about the in-state vs out-of-state. However, Frank does bring way more high school connections to LSU from the state especially in New Orleans and surrounding areas. But then you have the Katrina effect and now New Orleans is quickly regaining in momentum and Frank is solidifying his presence in the area. We had some issues there before. So yes there are other factors but Frank is a strong asset for LSU given his relationships in LA. If he was at another school, he would steal some of these targets. LSU would still get the majority. I think he also has helped LSU in recognizing the targets earlier than before given his contacts.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Wilson doesn't have an impact on recruiting. I think it is very well known that he is solid as a rock and a top notch recruiter. I just think the in state, out of state thing is totally dependent on in state talent for a given year. Wilson can only help both.

8. ASD

ASD ASD

Def the same or more. Way more talent in Louisiana than most realize. Its a luxury that our coaches are also excellent evaluators. But who are we in serious consideration for (as serious as you can be in June) OOS only? Back on topic- I'm not sure how there can be any argument to the impact Wilson has had on recruiting.

9. LSUFan1950

LSUFan1950 Founding Member

I live in the Greater New Orleans area (Westbank) and Coach Miles and Coach Wilson is doing a bang up job here, like no other LSU coach has done in the past. Most of all here on the Westbank, by getting recruits from Karr and O. Perry Walker. The Westbank is where Coach Wilson is from.

10. tboy

tboy Founding Member

The Bestbank is producing for us my man. I like the St. Aug connection too. With a moniker like LSUFan1950 you must remember the ones that got away, like Leroy Hoard. Word on the street is that Frank Wilson showed up with a huge purple and gold paddle and offered to paddle anyone's a$$ that needed a good "whoopin"!!!:D