Does Mettenberger start right away?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsudolemite, Oct 24, 2010.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

We're all familiar with the loyalty factor involved with Les and his senior players. If nobody ends up transferring we'll have two senior QBs with the same issues and skills they had as redshirt freshmen. We may or may not keep Crowton, promote BG or hire a known commodity for the next OC. So how do you pitch the QB situation to Mettenberger? What happens if he's promised a "chance to compete" (like Shep) only to have JJ beat him out next year?

Hanagriff and Moscona think you don't go after a JC QB unless you plan to use him right off the bat. And Les seems to relish bucking the conventional wisdom. So do we end up with this same dual-QB nightmare we have now while a potential big-time contributor rides the bench?

2. sm5o4

sm5o4 Founding Member

He will be given a shot, but probably not a fair one. It all depends on if Crowton is back. If Crowton comes back, expect more of the same. If we hire a Chavis caliber offensive coordinator, I believe everyone will get a fair shake. That being said, Mettenberger hasn't even commited, much less practiced. Most are hoping for him to come in and start right away, just so they don't have to see JJ or to a lesser extent JL.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

YES YES YES YES....of course he has to earn it. BTW...if commits, he will enroll during the spring. HUGE

4. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I agree, but for a potential positive reason. I think we are seeing the potential of a tandum blooming on this team for next yr. I think JL wins the starting role back, and he snd RR have an unstoppable chemistry that propells this offense.

6. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

what good is mettenberger going to do if the O-line rolls over and dies like it did yesterday??

7. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

With this coaching staff, it doesn't matter what QB LSU gets. Just ask Russell Shepard.

I remember so many people on this forum claiming RS was gonna be the savior and bring us championships. Halfway through his sophomore season, he's nowhere to be found in this offense. And why is that? Because this coaching staff has absolutely no clue how to use him. Their genius idea was to move him to WR and we see how well that has worked.

This offense is getting worse each year under this coaching staff. Any good QB would be stupid to come play for this coaching staff.

8. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I wish I could believe that.

9. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

IF Mettenberger doesnt think he has a VERY legit shot at starting in BR for 2011...I believe he will be in college station come February.

10. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

You are damn right! We probably have the worse QB coaching staff in this whole league. If they just take sometime to look at RS's high school video, they would have realized how comfortable RS felt when he played QB, and the fact that HE CAN THROW! He threw the ball even better than JJ does right now! Our offensive coaching staffs are a bunch of nonsense!