Does Mettenberger start right away?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsudolemite, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

If I were a highly sought-after QB, I don't know that I'd play for Saban. He's not really the kind of coach that likes to air it out and showcase your skills. He just wants a game manager that doesn't make mistakes and who will win a game for you every so often. This often results in the more talented QB riding the pine until the incumbent graduates.

Of course, there's no way in hell that I'd play for Gary Crowton, either.

3. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I don't think so...Bama has a deep QB roster. He wants to play now. I think it is a defensive move on Bama's part. Keep the competition from getting a leg up. We may not be a threat this season but LSU is stacked for next and a decent QB away from making it happen.

4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I don't think so. I think having a new coordinator in place would help. Someone ZM could meet and explain his new plans etc. But threats of firing a coach don't send a very positive message. Coaches need to bond with recruits because they want to know who they are going to play for. Recruits don't want instability and uncertainty.

I very much doubt that a head coach would confided in a recruit that he was going to fire any of his coaches anyway. The story would be on rivals the next day and all hell would break loose.

5. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

McElroy is a senior. JJ and JL are juniors.

From ZM's mouth on what he most wants out of the program he picks....close to home, playing in the SEC, playing time next year, and a pro style offense.

Now Bama seems to be equal if not more attractive in all of those areas. I seriously dont see any way in hell Miles will bench JJ or JL next season for Mettenbeger so the chance to play next year is pretty much very unclear at LSU...not so much at Bama. Bama is closer to his home (Georgia) and runs a pro style offense (not sure what LSU is running at the moment). OH, and Bama's offense hasnt been atrocious for 3 years running.

Now, Saban offering a scholly for a defensive move...seriously doubt it.

BTW...I REALLY like this kid so I'd love to be proven wrong.

6. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

We have at least one decent QB right now. What we need is a new coordinator and O-Line to get him the right call and adequate protection. If you're talking about a Cam Newton-type QB that could almost do it DESPITE bad O-Line play and playcalling, then sure...you're right. But I wouldn't call that just "decent".

7. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

I agree on all points. Even when GC was producing, a drop-back guy doesn't fit the playbook. IMO, he wouldn't look any better than JLee does this year in Crowton's system, and I'm sure he knows that.

BUT...signing day is well after the end of the season. If we can get a good, proven coordinator that fits his style, he may come here.

8. geneinga

geneinga Veteran Member

Zach is NOT considering Bama. I know this for a fact. Boy, Ol' Miss sure is putting the schmooze on him though.

The decision is his alone, not even his parents are lobbying him, but I sure hope he goes with LSU. With all of the speed and talent there in BR, I think an SEC championship would be very likely. Maybe more.

9. dudley

dudley oops!

IMO, A. J. McCarron is Alabama's quarterback next year. He was all the rage in their spring practice and spring game this year. He is very good and is also familiar with their system.

Ole Miss is a heartache and Nutt may be without a job shortly.

Crowton has always had a dropback pass offense. He tried to make JJ a dropback quarterback and couldn't but JL's playbook is all dropback.

If Mettenberg is good enough he will play next year at LSU, but I doubt if he will start in place of JJ. Team chemistry is important and a new guy is just not going to come in and sit the two seniors down.

All just my opinion of course.

10. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Off topic- but did you see Saban laying into McCarron during the game last night? AJ got in the game late and threw a pass off his back foot into triple coverage. The pass was incomplete, but Nick very demonstratively yelled at the kid on the way back to the bench.

As for Zach, I'd say let him sit all next year, he'll only be a RS SOPH and can learn the offense. The two QBs ahead of him will be seniors. Then, we'll have two years of Mettenberger at the helm.