Does Tampa deserve a baseball team?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Aug 31, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

"Carlos Pena homered and drove in four runs, Wade Davis(notes) won his sixth straight decision and the Rays beat the Toronto Blue Jays 6-2 before an announced crowd of just 11,968 on Monday night."

“It was a big letdown,” Rays All-Star left fielder Carl Crawford(notes) said. “We came out all fired up and you see that, it’s really depressing.”

Pena homers, Davis wins 6th straight for Rays - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

That's just sad.

They are fun to watch and could win the World Series this year. And nobody out there seems to care.

I think they should move the team. Move them to New Orleans. We couldn't do any worse.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

They don't deserve a team. Against Boston on Monday the crowd was equally pathetic. That's the team (besides the Yanks) they most need to beat and I doubt there were 15,000 in attendance. What other city wants/needs a team right now? Could Charlotte sustain an MLB team?

3. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Miami/Marlins are worse.

And they just paid a massive amount of money for a retractable roof stadium.

Florida has really ****ty fans overall. The Jaguars are getting ready to move. The hockey teams don't have fans(did you know they had teams?).

Part of the reason is that Florida has people from all over the place. And those people keep their sports teams while still living there. New York teams will almost always have more of their fans at a game in Florida than the home team.

4. SabanFan

Good point. It seemed that the Bosox fans outnumbered the TB fans on Monday.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Being from here now, I can attest to that.

And then you have the problem of a significant part of the population being senior citizens who certainly don't go to games generally.

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Seconded.

7. SabanFan

Wouldn't work. We need the Dome during Hurricane season.

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

If the MLB ceased to exist, I wouldn't notice. I wouldn't attend MLB if there were a stadium 10 minutes from my house.

I believe it has lost its relevance and needs to go the way of the dodo.

9. SabanFan

Yet you open a thread about the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. :rolleye33

10. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

I can't imagine baseball doing well in New Orleans. Football reigns supreme and basketball is already struggling enough to get fans to come. Maybe San Antonio or somewhere else would be better.

The team is still relatively new and have sucked epically for their entire existence so I don't really blame the fans. But, now is the time for Tampa to show they can support a winning team or else move them.