Does the A word offend you if not directed towards you?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by macatak911, Sep 5, 2006.

?

Does the A word offend you if not directed towards you?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  1. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

ie. tiger rag chant

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

In a private conversation, made in jest, probably not.

In public, yes - it is a coarse word like the F-word, the C-word, the MF-phrase.

Somebody's mom or grandma HAVING to hear that makes me just a little sad.

ESPECIALLY when connected with a song that most would associate some pride with.

3. kcal

kcal Founding Member

are you talking about me?????????????

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It depends. Some guy calling another guy a**hole for almost causing a car wreck is understandable.

But 10,000 people drowning out a traditional LSU fight song with that crap offends me deeply. They are responsible for the song's demise and are somehow proud of it. Pathetic.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I'm actually fine with "KICK THEIR A**" because it makes sense as part of a fight song but the "A**HOLE" as part of Tiger Rag makes no sense at all except to be gratuitous.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Does anyone know how/why that chant even started?

I've been thinking a lot lately about how so many people are so sensitive about language. They're just words that someone long ago decided were taboo. And it's ironic because there are plenty of other, 'non-offensive' ways to say the exact same phrase. If someone hadn't put the 'bad' tag on these certain words, would social norms have evolved to do that inevitably? And if they weren't considered bad, isn't it fair to say that they wouldn't be uttered as frequently?

Don't get me wrong. I succumb to these social standards for the mere fact that people sound like a*sholes when they throw around cuss words in mixed company. I guess I just think the whole thing is dumb...getting worked up over words and whatnot.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

agree. I wonder if we can get the streaker dude to run across the field screaming azz-holes azz-holes. supposed to rain saturday so that would be great.

8. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Sticks and stones, sticks and stones. Unless you're a Puritan, in which case it's "everything and everything."

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that ********* is a term of endearment for many Tiger fans?

Also, I'm hoping Red can answer Chaos' historical question about why the language came into that song. Of course, if he can't answer, he's just a typical LSU *********...errr....*********. :hihi:

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think cheers with curse words are dumb.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ah Yes, I remember it well. It was back in the fall of '83 . . .

It started in the early 1980's because the students were upset at remarks by some visiting coach (I forget which) and they starting chanting A**hole, directed specifically at him when he was on the field. And the band started playing Tiger Rag to break it up. The "YAH HA HA HA HAAAA" sing-along bit just led right into the chant they had been doing.

But . . . drunken teenagers being what they are, it caught on and they started doing it every time the song was played, to nobody in particular.

It was funny once . . . but it has been lame and embarrassing to LSU ever since.