does this open doors?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 100%TigerBred, Mar 30, 2011.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Damn you're obnoxious. It's not about some set amount. The point is these kids get extra benefits from boosters fans etc. The schools can't control that. But if a school is buying players, whether it's for a thousand bucks or a hundred thousand bucks, it's an issue. And I don't believe that all schools buy players. It's just not that widespread.

1 person likes this.
  2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I have to be honest, this does not look good for us. Haley links us to Lyles, and if what this A&M coach says is true, it makes a connection between Lyles and Peterson. It's becoming less and less plausible for LSU to plead ignorance as to how Lyles operates below the table.

3. PSU2LSU

PSU2LSU Veteran Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm not saying LSU is dirty.. but every major college program has skeletons in their closet. And if there's smoke then there's fire.

Give you an example, PSU is known nationally as running a clean program. I can tell you from living in State College for 6 years that it isn't as squeaky clean as some are led to believe. For example for years it was a unwritten rule that if a police officer busted a football player that he was to take them directly to Joe's house no matter what time of the day it was and Joe would handle it. Could this happen at LSU? I'm pretty sure that it could happen at a lot of schools.

Another example.. when Terrelle Pryor was being recruited out of Jeannete High School in PA... His friends used to work for a little diner/pizzeria and Terrelle would eat there free. The owner a huge Penn State fan and probably by definition a booster. Was he trying to sway Prior's decision? Absolutely, Did Joe and the coaching staff know about this. I'm sure they did as it wasn't a big secret.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

sniff

wow, you're naive. If you've ever attended LSU or known even any decent athlete attending you'd know this. better yet, its hilarious you dont think it goes on at LSU.

and this is what this is about, not other schools. If you dont think the athletic administration/coaches arent aware that this goes on or dont play a direct and indirect part then you're not paying attention. LSU may not have paid an athlete as much as Auburn or USC did. So what. We still pay players one way or the other and everyone involved is guilty and aware.

this is like the parents who never think johnny is bad because his friends are worse. denial is a great way to compartmentalize.

5. tirk

cmon now. we didnt know a thing. this is just an isolated incident.

6. tirk

i dont have an axe to grind. its not about finding out anything. its about coming to grips with all major schools pay the top recruits knowingly. by everyone involved.

here's a newsflash-parents have been shopping around their kids for cash for decades. now it begins in elementary school is the only difference.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Our whole discussion is over the fact that you said every school does this. The point I'm making is that not every school pays kids thousands of dollars to come to their school. Do you disagree with that?

And I'm not naive enough to think that it's not possible. But if we paid players to come to school, then we deserve to be punished. The stuff PSU was talking about happens everywhere and of course it happens at LSU. That's nothing. But paying players to come to school does not happen everywhere.

8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I think this is those things used to be dealt with everywhere and I think it's exactly how it should be handled.

9. tirk

every major d1/fbs school does.

are you not aware LSU athletes have been getting new rides as soon as they stepped on campus decades ago? Do you not know how this happens? The administration knows nothing of this or plays no part?

the ncaa is corrupt as **** which facilitates this entire environment.

1 person likes this.
  10. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

Of course they are and they are the root of the problem.
    My question is what can they do to stop this from happening? I do not think it is possible to eliminate this issue completly, it will always be around. I am curious to see what (if anything) will be done about this.