Done deal ... Toe is headin' out

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by J2K, Jan 3, 2003.

1. J2K

J2K Founding Member

2. WF TIGER

WF TIGER Founding Member

Big Mistake
    Sounds like another Trev Faulk story

Another year could have done him alot more

3. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

I may be thinking differently than everyone else on this one, but I think this is actually the right move for LaBrandon.

Saban tested the water with Toefield after the 2001 season, so it was almost a given that he would leave this year.

With all of the injury trouble Toe has had, he is in the take the money while you can situation. His knee has held up well, and the arm injury is really of no concern. With some good workouts he is a solid 3rd rounder.

4. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

I wish him the best. The man does deserve something good out of his football career. Getting paid while proving himself is not a bad way to go.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Smart move for Toe ... IF he's projecting in the 1st or 2nd round. If he's projecting for lower rounds, he'd be better off staying and trying to improve his status with a 1,000-yard season.

It's hard to imagine an NFL team giving up a high draft pick for a player with two injury-prone seasons. There are a lot of better running backs out there.

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I really don't agree with this, but I can understand the logic if he really is going to the NFL. I would love nothing more than for Toefield to come back, rush for 1,600+ yards, lead LSU to a national championship, and be All-American and possibly Heisman material his senior year. BUT, as many injuries as he has had, for all we know he may blow out his knee three games into the season and there he would be. Most NFL teams would label him "soft" or "injury-prone" and he may not get drafted at all. He probably thinks he can't risk that. I would say for him to go only if he is a first to third round pick. Lower than that, and he would really have no choice but to come back his senior year and solidify his chances.

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Maybe watching Willis McGahee get his knee destroyed when he was 10 minutes from a pro career scared him a little. And besides, it's not like college games have that much impact on how a running back gets taken in the draft. The combine and individual team workouts count more than rushing for lots of yards in college. If Toe goes to the combine and runs a 4.4 and wows the scouts, they won't care if he only rushed for 500 yards this year.

8. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Can't agree with that. We have Addai, Carey and nothing else. Yes, Vincent, Broussard and the Maryland kid are coming in but who knows how they'll turn out....you would expect atleast one to pan out but no guarantee. Addai and Carey aren't capable of +20 carries a combined.....lets hope one of the frosh is the real deal or we are in deep shit at RB.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It should be remembered that Vincent did not qualify academically last year. Ally Broussard, and Barrington Edwards have yet to make test scores. Shyrone Carey has also lost playing time because of academic shortcomings. There is a high flunk-out potential in our list of probable running backs. This worries me some.

I do think that Joseph Addai can carry the ball 30 time a game if needed, but we need depth at the position.

A big question at running back for me is: "Why doesn't LSU recruit or play a true fullback?" Fullbacks at LSU are small guards that line up in the backfield and block. Why don't we ever recruit that bruiser type of big, running fullback that is always good for a yard when you need it. Such a fullback can also block for the TB, but can also be a legitimate running threat. The quick-hitting fullback dive, or even the fake dive, can freeze the middle linebacker enough to spring the TB on the corner plays.

10. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

.....like Tommy Banks!