Done deal ... Toe is headin' out

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by J2K, Jan 3, 2003.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fullback

Or Kelly Simmons, who made an All American out of Charles Alexander. He would block hard 30 times a game for the TB, but he averaged 5.5 yards a carry on the 4 or 5 times he was given the ball. It kept the middle linebacker at home until he was damn sure that the FB wasn't coming on the dive. Meanwhile Alexander was rounding the corner on the sprint draw.

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

An excellent point. We haven't had a true fullback since Banks. Solomon Lee was a converted linebacker, and the leader for the job for next season is Brandon "Bull" Hurley, who was recruited out of high school as a defensive tackle. At first Saban and Fisher wanted to install the West Coast offense at LSU and run a lot of one-back set, thereby marginalizing the fullback position. They quickly discovered that this is the SEC, and if you are going to win in this league, you have to run the football, which often has to be done from the "I" formation. It was okay two years ago because we had Banks. When he left, the fullback position was indeed marginalized for a little bit, but Lee was a pleasant surprise as a lead blocker when we needed him. But now, after Hurley, our choices are limited to Jason Spadoni and Kevin Stielz (walk-on). Last year at one point they had Addai playing fullback, which is really not his position. Throwing the ball is great, but championship teams are balanced and run the football well. That should be clear to everyone after watching Ohio State win the national title.

3. wvtiger

wvtiger Freshman

TB

I wouldn't sweat tailback because of addai, carey, and the guys coming in. If they don't pan out we can move Devery back to tailback and I am sure he would be awesome.

4. msully

msully Founding Member

I wish him good hands

He has a lot of speed and strenght but he fumbles a lot