Donnie Jones replacement

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Jun 17, 2004.

1. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

I know most people are like me and could care less about the punter position, but has anyone seen Patrick Fisher punt. He is a RSFresh and am wondering if he is any good. For some reason we have had a decent punter during the past years between Kessler and Jones

2. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

He is good but at the Spring Game he was mostly terrible. I'm pretty sure Saban said he had been kicking good before that, some reason he just had trouble that day. He was highly rated so he'll get it together.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fisher had a bad punt in the spring game that went straight up and then came back for negative yardage--never seen anything like it. But published reports from spring practice said that he had been getting tremendous distance but that they were line drives without the hang time that Nick was looking for. A talented punt returner can bust a big one if he gets the ball too quickly, even if he's deep.

Fisher will have to develop some hang time during the season, even if they are shorter punts, hopefully not for negative yardage. He's just young and needs some playing time.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Ack! I care. Thats a pretty damn important position. I am actually very concerned about our kicking game. Corbello and Jones, both, probably won a couple games for us that we didnt realize.

5. Tiger1131

Tiger1131 Founding Member

I have never seen a punt like that one in the spring game. It almost made it back to the endzone- would that be a safety or a TD?

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Depends on who falls on it. Out the back of the end zone is a safety. Kicking team falls on it in the end zone- safety, receiving team- TD.

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Donnie Jones

8. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

I've heard that Fisher is a better punter than Jones was, but that punt in the spring game was awful. He's got a cannon for a leg though. I think he'll be fine.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Not sure if that even makes sense. Fisher hasn't stepped on the field yet.

10. ramah

ramah Founding Member

I agree ... he'll be fine

Agree ... HS ball is different from College ... the kid has to adjust to bigtime atmosphere, pressure, increased speed of the game and focus on his technique and simply learn to relax ... relax ... relax

After a couple of games in Tiger Stadium ... he'll be smooth as silk nailing 50+ yarders with consistency ... Saban didn't go halfway across America to get this kid because he's not talented and cannot get the job done.

I do expect a few rookie screwups early in the year. That spring game foulup was just lack of focus and nerves ...

similar thing actually happened to me in a HS game ... I punted and was decent averaging just at 40 yards ... but rushed a punt once after a bobble and literally ended up kicking a negative yardage punt into the wind and made the catch ... embarrassing as hell. Good punting is almost 100% mental ... LSU coaching understands this and teaches this ... he'll be fine