Don't look now, LSU hoops tied for first

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Feb 4, 2016.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I think we'll eek out a win vs A&M and that's it. The other two are losses. So in that case, we could end up 14-4, and we're in trouble of not getting in that point if we go out 1 and done in the SECT? We'd have a 21-11 record in that scenario.

Are they going to consider key players being out during our horrrible 7-5 OOC start?

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Vitale was trying to make a case for it.

So the remaining schedule.

@USCe
    Vs A&M
    Vs Alabama
    @Tennessee
    @Arkansas
    Vs UF
    Vs Mizzou
    @UK

LSU must beat Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, and I think they need to split the the 4 big ones.

3. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

I approve this message!

4. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

The committee is supposed to take into account games played with key players missing.
    Also, don't discount that they want Ben Simmons in the tournament. There is a reason why most Tigers games this year were on national tv.

TheRealist, islstl and ParadiseiNC like this.
  5. Pennsylvania

What might make it difficult for the committee is, those 5 non-conference losses came against inferior opponents. Nc State and Wake are ACC bottom feeders this year, but ACC teams nontheless. Marquette is near the bottom of the Big East, Houston is a middle-of-the-road American conference team, and Charleston is a mid pack CAA team. I actually had to Google the CAA.
    The committee might credit LSU with missing a couple key players, but they are really bad losses. Imagine how nice our record would look if they just won 3 of those 5....

6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

It is what it is though. They were young at that point w/o some key players and didn't have the chemistry that only experiences can foster. They'll get into the tourney, and if they can develop a killer instinct, they'll be a dangerous team. Right now, they are showing balance beyond jus BS. 3 different players have been top performers in last 3 games. Nice show of being muti-dimensional.

7. Pennsylvania

There is no doubt they are evolving team, that has potential. But as positive as i always am, I am starting to think they still need to do a lot coming down the stretch to get in. If LSU is a bubble team come March, the on air panelist will be bringing up those 5 bad losses regularly. A lot of teams, even great teams will post a bad loss or two. But 5 is a different story.

8. ParadiseiNC

Well, if they end up first in SEC, like they currently stand, they're getting in. Winning your conference holds WT, esp. when considering the discussion above re: starters not available for those games, youth, and chemistry during the first half of the season when those 5 losses occurred. They also had the #1 team on the ropes, and lost a close one they should have won. That'll be taken into account when measuring first half of season vs second. Lastly, the national media, and hopefully the NCAA tourney panel, want BS in. That's a factor in our favor.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

good discussion, folks

10. ParadiseiNC

Yeah, what's really cool, too, is that a guy in NC can have this discussion w/ guys in PA, and TX about a basketball team in Louisiana. Without this forum, none of us have any way to have that contact w/each other.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    lsu-i-like and islstl like this.