Double disappointment

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MiketheTiger69, Mar 31, 2006.

1. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

Having both women and men's teams in the final four the same year is quite an accomplishment for the school and the fans. The way how tournaments go at this level, anything can happen. If it is destiny, they will win it all!
    (Isn't this slightly reminiscent of the 2003 football season? esp.for the men's team?) I am sure we are all proud of these players whatever happens.

Can someone tell me how many other schools in the NCAA history have both men's and womens BB teams reach the final four the same year? I know it was reported in the Advocate recently.
    ________
    STARCRAFT2REPLAY

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Athletics is a lot like life. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose.

3. tigerball

tigerball Founding Member

Great post by kcal

We may feel empty if either team does not win it all - but the emptyness will fade and we will again remember the accomplishments of both teams, and be proud of them, and glad to be a part - even simply as a fan, but a loyal fan that stays with the team win or lose.

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

1983 Georgia

1999 Duke

2002 Oklahoma

2003 Texas

2004 UConn

2005 Mich St

2006 LSU

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Disappointed in the outcome? Yes. Disappointed in the teams? NEVER!!

6. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Every one of those except UConn did not win either title....

UConn won both in 2004....

7. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Finishing the season on a loss will always be a disappointment... hence the Bowl system....

Think about it, we came off a butchering by Georgia, which we all seemed to doubt our own team, then blasted Miami, giving us a different perspective.... Maybe the team was really that tired for UGA...

In NCAA Div I, two teams can finish the season with a win: NIT Champ, and NCAA Champ.... That is, unless some teams don't play in a conference tournament....

So, zoom in on Cock Nation.... Back to back NIT Champs.... It's something....

Here we are.... Two more wins (dare I say... FOUR wins?) , and we have everything to boast about...

8. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is excatly how I feel too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Look, before the Elite 8 contest against Texas, I was talking on the phone with my uncle and he and I were both in agreement that, given everything that this YOUNG team had accomplished up to that point, it was almost impossible for either of us to be "disappointed" with either outcome (naturally, we both felt that if Texas beat us, we at least wanted to see our team play well--i.e., not lose by a margin greater than 10)....and you know, I still feel that way (although I admit that after going through Duke AND Texas, I feel that LSU has already played 2 of the best teams in this tournament, so my confidence in them is at an all-time season high right now).

On the other hand, with the women, having made the Final Four for the 3rd STRAIGHT season, I would feel about as "gut-wrentched" as a Philadelphia Eagles fan having made the conference title game all those years and NOT manage to get over the hump.... We have the Nation's reigning player of the year in Simone (and a very young All-American player in Big Syl)...Up until this point, this is probably the Lady Tigers' best chance to actually put it all together and win the whole thing. Sure, I think the Lady Tigers are in a great position to make journeys deep into the NCAA tourny on an annual basis (Pokey is getting a lot of talent rolling in), but with a player like Simone playing her last game(s) as a Tiger, coming up short will be tough to swallow...

10. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I'll be disappointed in the short run, an hour or so. Then I'll remember the thrills these two teams delivered in their great wins on the journey of the ncaa tournaments. The ladies were expected to be good, and they've lived up to their billing. The men were unknown, and they've far exceeded my expectations. If they lose, I'll remember the wins over Duke and Texas a lot longer than the loss.

I salute both these teams for their accomplishments, they've already made me a happier person!

(But another national championship, or two, never hurt anything...) :lsup: :geauxtige