Dr. Ben Carson for President

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by gyver, Feb 10, 2013.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

If I had to cast a vote today, it would be for Ben Carson. If he was the Republican candidate, cold he get elected?

Beside the fact he's black, he grew up in inner-city Detroit so should be able to relate to/ draw support from at least some minority voters.

His history could be good...or bad. A Jimmy Carter Democrat, gravitated to Ronald Regan's speeches and converted in 1984 then later found neither party to represent his views and switched to Independent. Some may view this as wishy washy while others see it to mean he's willing to stand up for what his views are.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, he ain't an independent anymore, he's a card-carrying Republican running for the Republican nomination. His views are certainly conservative and if nominated he will have to sell his soul to the Republican party. He's already leaning to the right to impress that GOP base. . . against legalization, anti-gun control, promotes public religion, called the ACA "the worst thing since slavery", once compared women who get abortions to dog-abuser Michael Vick, blamed the decline and fall of the Roman Empire on gay marriage, and concluded that believing in evolution was like thinking that "a hurricane blowing through a junkyard could somehow assemble a fully equipped and flight-ready 747."

Seems like a nice and interesting chap and an impressive surgeon. His health care ideas are odd, he favors outlawing for-profit insurance companies, yet thinks this is a "free-market" solution. He wants to revise the tax code and everybody can get aboard that. But I can't support anybody that denies evolution. I don't think he can sway any moderates with that act.

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

At one point he seemed about the best in the bunch, but denying evolution is scary. Too scary. Never thought I would be a single issue kind of guy.

4. LSUTiga

Oh, red doesn't like him. Shocker. ;)

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Actually he seems quite likable and more pragmatic than most Republicans. I just won't vote for him.

I'm surprised you like him. There are some hard-core jackboots running on issues you favor. Real swine.

6. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

Depends on the career they choose and maybe LARGE Corporations but mine is struggling. Lots of large corps with over sea factories and workers.. but what is killing me is all the documentation for medical products and the constant scrutiny by insurance companies not to deny service but all the damn redetermination we have to jump through.

7. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

I think some who is BORN with a mental or physical disability would be easy to document now the I have a bad back crowd not so easy to prove/disprove.
    And it is Mentally :)

8. LSUTiga

I'm much more center than I like to act on here. I've voted for Democrats before.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I voted for Edwin Edwards

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Obamacare is the worst thing that's happened to this country since slavery.

That's the guy you are voting for?