Dreamland Bar-B-Q to open in BR

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Feb 5, 2004.

1. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Not really LSU related, but the famed rib joint from Tuscaloosa looks to be opening a joint in BR. From today's Daily Report from the BR Business Report:

New Bar-B-Q joint: Developer and real estate agent Donnie Jarreau and partners have found a spot for Dreamland Bar-B-Q, the renowned Tuscaloosa, Ala., restaurant that features ribs and spicy sauce. Dreamland is scheduled to open in the Southdowns Shopping Center in early June after a $600,000 renovation, said Jarreau. The space, once Uncle Earl's bar, is 5,000 square feet with an option to add 2,500 square feet if needed. The restaurant will seat 150. Jarreau said Southdowns was chosen because it's located near other good restaurants, is near LSU and is a short drive from the interstate. Southdowns has become a place for people who live to eat. Other tenants are Thai Kitchen, La Bouchee Market and Mary Lee Do-Nuts.

2. Coonie

Coonie Founding Member

Cool!

I actually found my way there once (kinda off the beaten path). Not a place I would frequent at night, though.

Ribs were good...I think they only served ribs and sliced white bread at the time.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Let me preface this by saying that I live in Texas, and I don't particularly like barbeque. But I went to Dreamland in the summer of 1998, and those are some GREAT ribs. It's all in the sauce, which is also bottled to be sold.

4. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

I've eaten at the ones

in both Mobile and Tuscaloosa and there is no comparison. The franchise version in Mobile is no where close to the original but it's still cool. The franchised version will still be the best ribs in BR.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I always thought Dreamland was just a little overrated, actually. But south Baton Rouge always needs more good BBQ joints.

It's good news. You can get chicken wings on any corner, but good BBQ is hard to find around town.

6. Geaux5000

Geaux5000 Founding Member

AWESOME, I go to Dreamland every time I go to Tuscaloosa. Great place.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I have been to the one in Birmingham. I enjoyed it. I agree it is all in the sauce. I like a spicy and tangy BBQ sauce.

8. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

I would be strung up by my thumbs and stoned to death if I said this on a Bama board but as much as I love Dreamland ribs I wish they had something besides white bread to go with them. I like a little tater salad and beans or corn on the cob.

Like Tigersmack said the Tuscaloosa Dreamland is way better than the one in Mobile.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yep, I have been to the one in Tuscaloosa and they were pretty damn awesome. I agree, there are no real good bbq places around town. Jay's used to be good but nothing special anymore.

off the topic, why do people act like donuts are the lifeblood to survive? the damn krispy kreme is open 24 hrs and ppl in the drive thru at 3 am. unreal.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I've never had Dreamland ribs. Anybody here had Dreamland and TJ Ribs babybacks want to compare them?