Dreamland Bar-B-Q to open in BR

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Feb 5, 2004.

1. LSUfan4life

LSUfan4life Founding Member

KK isn't the life blood to survive at 3am waffle house is

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

My friend, truer words were never spoken...

Well, you could also say that the "call back" at 2:30am by that chick you met in the club earlier that night to "come by and say hello..." is pretty much like the fountain of life...but outside that miraculous occurrence, The Waffle House is no less a late night staple than last call or dodging the paddy wagon on the way home...

3. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

when all the "dirty south" rappers were still in the area and not all arrested....you could find them at the waffle house on college early AM hours....no coincidence that across the street is a huge drug dealing park.

havent been in there in a while...but there use to be a feminie acting guy who worked in there...who's last name was Fruit (no lie)....his nickname was Mrs. Fruit...hilarious. he had a lot of good 4am stories...

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Eleven...What were you doing in there, and how did you realize that?

Hmmm...You been keeping pace with street pharmacists...

5. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

ha, no im clean

i would go in there for lots of reasons... sobering up, hungry after midnight football...you name it

and lo and behold...the dirty south rappers.

the drug park is pretty obvious. if you paid attention....you would see a guy cross the street with a plastic bag...he'd put the bag in the bushes and walk back across.

a few mins later some guys in a car would come by...pick up the plastic bag and put money in the bush

def. not some where to take a girlfriend late at night

6. geauxsooners

geauxsooners Founding Member

I'm new to BR so enlighten me. Where is Southdowns? And how is TJ Ribs? I've heard some speak highly of the place but I haven't been there yet.

P.S. The fucker who stole my OU flag from my house and ripped my OU emblem from my car can kiss my white pimpled ass!

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When I used to go to the College Dr Waffle House at closing time there were always a bunch of cops in there.

8. TSmith

TSmith Founding Member

Alright, TJ Ribs vs. Dreamland. This is almost blasphemous to true rib lovers. Dreamland slow-cooks their ribs the right way, naturally making them tender and tasty. TJ Ribs boils their ribs ... a sin to all true rib lovers. To boil your ribs is to cheat and makes you no better than TGI Fridays or something. I'm glad to hear Dreamland is coming to B.R. Now all we need is for them to open one in New Orleans. Lets face it, Louisiana is severely lacking in good barbeque. That's my two cents.

9. BMoney

BMoney Founding Member

All you Waffle House lovers have it wrong. Louie's is the place to go for that closing time grub. Nothing beats a Mitchell. Mmmmm.....

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You can't really compare wet ribs (T.J.'s) and dry ribs (Dreamland). It's apples and oranges.

While I agree that boiled ribs lose something, "wet" ribs that have the meat falling off the bone can be prepared by steaming or by simply letting the ribs stew inside foil for a few hours. These methods make for some might tasty and tender ribs.

Slow-cooked, "dry" ribs are crustier on the outside and you have to rip the meat off the bone with your teeth. But they sure do taste good, when they are done right. The best ribs are from the places that blend these two techniques, IMHO.

There is some fine Barbeque in Louisiana, just not enough of it.

Best BBQ beef -- Grayson's in Clarence, LA across the Red River from Natchitoches on Hwy 71. Homemade sandwich buns make for the best brisket sandwiches around. Dry ribs. Get your orders in early for holiday smoked hams and turkeys.

Best BBQ pork -- Pig Stand on Hwy 167 in Opelousas. Fine slow-cooked pork with good cajun side dishes and always a good plate lunch.

It ain't in Louisiana, but I can't go to Houston without stopping at D. J.'s Country Store at the Anahuac, TX exit on I-10. Just a convenience store and they only sell BBQ beef sandwiches. But it is the best pit-smoked, pulled beef BBQ sandwich I have ever eaten. Bar none.