Dreamland Bar-B-Q to open in BR

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Feb 5, 2004.

1. ric flair

ric flair Founding Member

Grayson's is the best. A friend of mine has a camp on Black Lake and after fishing all morning, nothing could beat a BBQ sandwich made with their homemade rolls.

2. sos

sos Founding Member

Re: I've eaten at the ones

I've been to Dreamland, and TJ's in Baton Rouge blows them off the map - just my opinion...

3. arizona tiger

arizona tiger Founding Member

DONUTS IN BR

If any of you are really serious about GOOD donuts, you must try some of JAY'S at the corner of Harrell's Ferry & O'Neal Lane. You can ALWAYS get hot donuts from about 5:00AM till mid morning and they are so light.

You will spit out Krispy Kreme after trying these. I know Jay personally and he learned from his dad who had two or three BR locations in the 50's & 60's.

:geaux: :lsug:

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

sos...You fell down and bumped your damn head...

TJ's ain't got shyt on Dreamland...

I ate Dreamland when I had what my doctor called, "The worst case of strep throat I've ever seen," and I could taste the difference, man...

But, it's all a matter of opinion of course...

5. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Any time there is a food-related thread you all have to hear all my carping and complaining about the food up here in Virginia. Well, here I go again:

Barbecue in Virginia means one thing and one thing only: smoked pork shoulder. The locally owned barbecue places sell it minced or sliced on an out of the bag bun. Nothing wrong with it at all. Normally it is simply smoked with no sauce and served on the bun with cole slaw on it. It's good, but one would wish for some variety. Few places up here other than chains serve barbecue ribs, beef or chicken - let alone sausage. Once again, you guys are making me hungry!

I had a nice chat back in the spring with Paul Bryant, Jr. (yep, the Bear's son) about Dreamland and he said the one in Tuscaloosa was way better than the one in Mobile.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So I've noticed. You need to get somebody to send you a care package. Somebody posted a link one time on a thread about food to order the good stuff on line. It is something like
    cajungroceries.com Thats not it but if anybody knows please post it for this poor guy. We don't want him to waste away from gumbo deprivation.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You are basically right about Louisiana not having good barbecue but I still love the babybacks at T.J.'s. The only better ones I can remember was about 4 years ago I had to pull off the interstate in Memphis for gas and I found myself on Elvis Presley Blvd. I went into some little barbecue place down the street from Graceland and the ribs were fantastic. I don't remember the name of the place. I do remember that there were little stores everywhere devoted to selling tacky Elvis memorabilia. I bought a few of the Elvis bobbleheads that you can put on your dashboard as gag gifts. Funny thing is that I never saw the bobblehead on the dashboard of any of the cars belonging to the lucky receipients. Do you think they might have been stolen?

No, I didn't keep one for myself.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Louisiana does have good barbeque, but they are few and off the beaten path. What we don't have is a good barbeque town like Memphis or Kansas City.

You can't get away with second-class seafood in south Louisiana. Likewise, you sure as hell can't stay in business with second-rate BBQ in Memphis or Kansas City. Almost all of the BBQ places are good. Both the upscale and the neighborhood joints.

9. el tigre

el tigre Freshman

Amen about Jay's Donuts

Jay's on the corner of O'Neal and S. Harrel's Ferry are hands down the best donuts that I ever had. Ditto for their kingcakes. I would put warm Krispy Kreme donuts at number two.....man, I miss Jay's. I'm stuck in the land of Dunkin' Donuts every 2 blocks. That place is disgusting.

Now, Barbecue. Abe's BBQ on George On' Neal Rd. (not O'Neal Lane) used to be pretty good....but my fave is Snowflake!! Now, if you are scared to venture to the College Drive Waffle House at 3am, then don't go to Snowflake. Snowflake is north of LSU btn. Highland and Dalrymple, right off of Eddie Robinson or Washington Street. I can still get there, jst don't remember the exact street name. Great greasy soul food, ribs, fried chicken, etc..

10. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Southern Living Magazine has published a book about the Barbecue tour of the South. It lists over 500 barbecue restaurants from Virginia to Texas. I should think this would be essential reading.

For geauxscott and others in the Mobile area, when living near there in high school and going back during summers while at LSU, I found that the Krispy Kreme on Government Street was often just the thing to get me back through the treacherous Bankhead Tunnel and across the deadly Causeway. It would "sop up" what was in you and inject you full of sugar.